Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Tow Rig Talk

Old 11-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #41
fuzzy
Hicksville's Hick

Send a message via AIM to fuzzy Send a message via Yahoo to fuzzy

Last edited by fuzzy; 11-25-2018 at 10:35 PM.
fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #42
FUBAR
four years later???

Things are looking good in Hicksville
Old 11-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #43
fuzzy
Hicksville's Hick

Send a message via AIM to fuzzy Send a message via Yahoo to fuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
Things are looking good in Hicksville
Yeah not too bad. I get to drag pop's boat out on occasion.

Start new gig in a union shop tomorrow, was going to make a post about it, but you know, satan prolly still comes up here to spy...

fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #44
champ
not cool enough

Now with 100% more nighttime, blurry towing!

champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:42 AM   #45
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

so this happened, the 2500 is still rollin great! actually the weekend after that the wife's Grand rolled 220,000 too. maybe we'll do less miles being in Pitt, i can only hope because her 'vette finished this summer with 35,000 on it even.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #46
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

The guy who racked up 750k on his 'Vette really made me start thinking about something like that for a DD. Good MPG, fun, RWD, manual trans, and can still handle a weekend road trip with the gf.

My truck turned over 270k this week. Still going strong, although it is rotting away quickly.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #47
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
The guy who racked up 750k on his 'Vette really made me start thinking about something like that for a DD. Good MPG, fun, RWD, manual trans, and can still handle a weekend road trip with the gf.

My truck turned over 270k this week. Still going strong, although it is rotting away quickly.
Yes. All of this...and it's why I drive the piss out of my stuff. That's what it is for! They get all of what you mentioned, and are fun as hell. Drive it!

I'd get another Vette in a heartbeat, drive it in the rain, anywhere I didn't need to haul too much gear or more than another person...it'd be driven!

Honestly, I'd rather sell my Harley and have a Vette, and would've if I had the room!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #48
6DoF

Quote:

current generation 'vette's are like jeeps, the resale is STUPID ... until you get to past generations. we got ours brand new in total base trim, and would do it again for sure. it's everything you said and more, it has been great. knock on wood, but 2 seasons with 36k and it's not been to the shop once either.

now there is a minor caveat to this ... i have driven it on a few 8h road trips by myself now, and that gets a bit old for me. 1) gota stop n stretch cuz it doesn't leave much room for a big guy to shift around 2) it gets hot, once the whole thing heat soaks the entire trans tunnel is super warm, plus it's all glass and the sun bakes you. i basically have to have the ac on full tilt on a warm summer day to have any chance at all. that said, it's a few hours to get to that point.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #49
Cobound
- The Don -

Honestly, I can't wait until I can swing another one...I told my wife just the other day that I'd still be driving it if we had space. Hell, w/ no snow and the weather what it is, as long as I didn't have those damn "no freeze" tires, I'd be rocking the highways with it as long as I could up here in da nort!

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 11-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #50
6DoF

true statement ... the Comp 2 tires get a little suspect below like 50deg yes, we replaced the run-flats with real tires, way better.

on that note, those cars have amazing traction control systems in them and you CAN buy good actual winter-only tires for the stock wheels too! throw 2-300lbs of sand in the back strapped down for safety and you'd be better off then 98% of ppl driving around town in the winter back in the day. if Mels jeep died a horrible death this winter, that's my plan.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #51
Cobound
- The Don -

Old 11-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #52
xj_man_646

I have definitely thought about DD'ing one in winter.

I like diesels
Old 11-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #53
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

I work on a dudes vette that dd's it snow or shine

Also my mom bought a 67 camaro when she was 18 (still has it) and she just put a few buckets of wheel weights in the trunk and had snow tires
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #54
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
I work on a dudes vette that dd's it snow or shine

Also my mom bought a 67 camaro when she was 18 (still has it) and she just put a few buckets of wheel weights in the trunk and had snow tires
lead ftw to take up the least space!!

if someone suggested driving a 4x2 RWD in the snow now, everyone would look at you like you had three heads. the social conditioning is amazing.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #55
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
lead ftw to take up the least space!!
Lead is dense but a bucket of wheel weights would have a lot of void space. A bag of sand or something would likely have been equally as effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
if someone suggested driving a 4x2 RWD in the snow now, everyone would look at you like you had three heads. the social conditioning is amazing.
My wife DD's her Challenger with snow tires and I used to DD my Grand Marquis/Crown Victoria/Magnum with snow tires. All V8, all RWD, all fookin tanks in the snow. Hell, my 4wd truck has had the 4wd engaged a handful of times in the near 3 years I've owned it, mostly because I drove into a snow bank for fun.
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #56
FUBAR
four years later???

Sand bags would be less likely to shift around corners to.

I put blizztecks on my RWD car and it gets around like it's 4x4. Common sense goes a long way when driving in the snow.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #57
JEEPJERK
Wanna make out?

My ex-wife's mom was into Buicks, so we inherited a couple of Skylarks when we were a young couple. I had one for my winter car, I threw the most aggressive/cheapest snow tires I could find on that thing, and it would go anywhere. I'm still a RWD guy, but that thing was amazing.

JEEPJERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #58
FUBAR
four years later???

When I lived in Atlanta it was always fun to watch people from the South try to drive in snow. Or even better yet, watch them try to drive in freezing rain.

And they all drove to the store to buy all the bread and milk
Old 11-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #59
xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
Lead is dense but a bucket of wheel weights would have a lot of void space. A bag of sand or something would likely have been equally as effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
Sand bags would be less likely to shift around corners to.

I put blizztecks on my RWD car and it gets around like it's 4x4. Common sense goes a long way when driving in the snow.
If we are talking 5 gallon buckets....have you ever tried to move a full 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights? Not easy.

I like diesels
Old 11-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #60
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
If we are talking 5 gallon buckets....have you ever tried to move a full 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights? Not easy.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfi...ead-weigh.html

http://www.traditionaloven.com/build...h-sand-lb.html

As noted in the first link, the void space will be the deciding factor on the lead weights. Likely ends up weighing more than the sand but you can't use the wheel weights to spread on the ice your car is stuck on for traction, can you?
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote