PDA

View Full Version : KD Fabworks 2015 JKU

Kurt
02-28-2019, 08:28 PM
Well, since I finished and sold the TJ, the JK is going to be getting some updating.

Current setup is:
2015 JK, 32,000 miles
Evo MFG Double D long arm with King Coilovers
ProRock44 front with ARB, 5.13's, RCV's, Reid knuckles, Dynatrac big brakes
D44 rear with ARB, 5.13's, Ten Factory shafts, Dynatrac big brakes
KD Fabworks front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, skid plates
36" Goodyear MTR's on Trailready Beadlocks

https://kdfabworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/photos/IMG_0382%20(1).jpg

With the TJ gone, the JK is now going to be growing. I've picked up some 40" Cooper Discoverer STT Pros along with KMC Machete beadlocks.

These will all be going on a set of Dynatrac Elite XD60 and ProRock80 axles with ARB's and 5.38's. I should have those axles next Friday.

KMC Machete:
https://kdfabworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/photos/IMG_7684.jpg

Starting to get them mounted:
https://kdfabworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/photos/IMG_7688.jpg

Got one done....what a PITA. The bead on the Coopers is super thick, so getting these beadlocks to fully seat took a while.
https://kdfabworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/photos/IMG_7693.jpg

Cobound
02-28-2019, 10:34 PM
That’s already a killer rig...not sure I’d go 40s if I had the option again. Do love it, but damn it’s big :lol:

Those beadlocks look totally bad ass...super interested in hearing what your thoughts are in those Coopers. May be my next set, these Nittos are hard and not sure they’ll wear great much longer.

6DoF
03-01-2019, 06:49 AM
with the TJ out ... so much more room for activities!

Cobound
03-01-2019, 08:46 AM
BTW - these will not be a hard sell at all, and you should get solid cash for them!!

ProRock44 front with ARB, 5.13's, RCV's, Reid knuckles, Dynatrac big brakes
D44 rear with ARB, 5.13's, Ten Factory shafts, Dynatrac big brakes

Rocking the 6 cylinder, loaded w/ RCV's and Ten Factory shafts - you can beat the ever living snot out of those things w/ stickies not worry; I've seen it first hand!

Man, getting excited for EJS now. Talked to my buddy on Tuesday night, had some beers and scotch...this trip is gonna be sweet. We're driving out, overlanding, camping in the boonies...rockin some trails and hammering some libations - can't believe it's only 6 weeks out :eek:

Kurt
03-01-2019, 09:46 AM
BTW - these will not be a hard sell at all, and you should get solid cash for them!!

Rocking the 6 cylinder, loaded w/ RCV's and Ten Factory shafts - you can beat the ever living snot out of those things w/ stickies not worry; I've seen it first hand!

Man, getting excited for EJS now. Talked to my buddy on Tuesday night, had some beers and scotch...this trip is gonna be sweet. We're driving out, overlanding, camping in the boonies...rockin some trails and hammering some libations - can't believe it's only 6 weeks out :eek:

Thats awesome. We leave for Moab in 26 days! :eek:

As far as the axles go, I believe the front retails out around 7500-8K built the way it is. With only about 1,500 miles on it tops, Im thinking of 6,500 for the pair.

Cobound
03-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Damn, you're window is tighter than mine. I have to repair my rear AEV tire carrier, it wobbles, broke a couple of those plastic capture blocks, and my bearings look to be tweaked...could be that 40 back there :bang:

I also need some front swaybar quick discos...but it's been so damn cold and my garage is so damn packed I haven't been able to get to either of them. My buddy has his axles to drop in yet as well, and I'm thinking much more in depth than yours, since he's also making other mods to accompany them.

BYTM :lol:

6DoF
03-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Thats awesome. We leave for Moab in 26 days! :eek:

As far as the axles go, I believe the front retails out around 7500-8K built the way it is. With only about 1,500 miles on it tops, Im thinking of 6,500 for the pair.

dude ... no ... post em for $8500 and let someone talk you down. worst case you sit on em for an extra few weeks then lower the price. let someone spend their money if they want to, unless you are trying to beat the sale time record for the TJ! :roflmao:

Edit: sorry, i have more fun playing the game ...

Kurt
03-01-2019, 12:46 PM
Damn, you're window is tighter than mine. I have to repair my rear AEV tire carrier, it wobbles, broke a couple of those plastic capture blocks, and my bearings look to be tweaked...could be that 40 back there :bang:

I also need some front swaybar quick discos...but it's been so damn cold and my garage is so damn packed I haven't been able to get to either of them. My buddy has his axles to drop in yet as well, and I'm thinking much more in depth than yours, since he's also making other mods to accompany them.

BYTM :lol:

:roflmao:
As much as I want to, I dont think Im going to do the 60/80 and 40"s swap before Moab. Since I leave in just under 4 weeks I don't want to deal with the stress. I have a Jeep that works for what we are going to do, and its done it before. Im not picking up the axles for a week, and I'll be gone for the weekend. So that leaves only 2.5 weeks to get it done. Ill need to install axles, install the new PSC 8" ram, check for clearances for the 40's, do any necessary trimming/suspension tweaks, and measure and order driveshafts to be done in time. Can it be done? Yes. But with work I just dont want to stress myself out about it. When I get back from Moab I can take my time and do it right.

Kurt
03-01-2019, 12:47 PM
dude ... no ... post em for $8500 and let someone talk you down. worst case you sit on em for an extra few weeks then lower the price. let someone spend their money if they want to, unless you are trying to beat the sale time record for the TJ! :roflmao:

Edit: sorry, i have more fun playing the game ...

:chug: Once I get them out and cleaned up Ill start adding everything up and come up with a price, but you are right, start high

xj_man_646
03-01-2019, 02:18 PM
With how quickly that TJ sold I bet you'll find a JK guy to buy those axles in no time.

Cobound
03-01-2019, 02:37 PM
:roflmao:
As much as I want to, I dont think Im going to do the 60/80 and 40"s swap before Moab. Since I leave in just under 4 weeks I don't want to deal with the stress. I have a Jeep that works for what we are going to do, and its done it before. Im not picking up the axles for a week, and I'll be gone for the weekend. So that leaves only 2.5 weeks to get it done. Ill need to install axles, install the new PSC 8" ram, check for clearances for the 40's, do any necessary trimming/suspension tweaks, and measure and order driveshafts to be done in time. Can it be done? Yes. But with work I just dont want to stress myself out about it. When I get back from Moab I can take my time and do it right.

Ah, gothca...yeah, definitely go w/ what you got if you haven't started already :lol:
I thought you were already deep into it...since you had the tires ready :p

With how quickly that TJ sold I bet you'll find a JK guy to buy those axles in no time.

Yeah, they will go fast, people are into the JK and will snag them quick at the right price...even if that price is high!

Jeepin Jason
03-02-2019, 03:04 PM
All I've got to say is... DAAAAAYUM!! :eek: :pimp:

Kurt
03-02-2019, 05:23 PM
All I've got to say is... DAAAAAYUM!! :eek: :pimp:

:roflmao: :chug:

Kurt
03-02-2019, 05:26 PM
I was wanting some rear corners for the JK and have been trying to decide what to do since our last Rubicon trip. Thought about making my own, but I really don't have the resources at the moment to build them the way I want. The ones I like are the Genrights, which is basically an AEV corner guard that Genright added to for full protection, and added recessed pockets for Maxbilt lights. They've been on backorder, but the finally have them in stock so I got some coming. Ill get them paint to match, should look good.

Cobound
03-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Meh, corner guards are ok, not sure I would’ve installed them myself. Love my Maxbilt lights...personally know the guys, they are just up the road from me. Their JK light boxes are sweet, too, BTW, if you don’t go the corner route.

Kurt
03-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Meh, corner guards are ok, not sure I would’ve installed them myself. Love my Maxbilt lights...personally know the guys, they are just up the road from me. Their JK light boxes are sweet, too, BTW, if you don’t go the corner route.

I’ll be covering up some damage with the corner guards. I came down hard on a rock with a precision hit on my rear bumper on the Rubicon. Pushed it up into the tub. That split the paint on the vertical seam on the tub. If I wanted to do it again I bet I wouldn’t be able to, the rock hit the perfect spot. And I’ve taken that bumper off and put a new one on with some changes to help prevent that. So, I want to cover up the body damage and add some more protection.

Cobound
03-03-2019, 11:32 PM
Well, that’s the ticket!! I did the same w/ my Scrambler, covered up some damage. While I really liked it on the 8, not the same on the JK. However, the 8 had 3/16” steel and was there to take a hit. The JK is just a coverup...looks good none the less :thumbsup:

6DoF
03-04-2019, 05:57 AM

what's the story with the lights and them? were they the first guys to make them, take them over, name change?

i got a set of them for the TJ from GenRight back a bunch of years ago now. they look and fit awesome, but 30% of the LEDs were dead within the first 6 months ... and to be honest, i don't recall having ever seen a set in a wild that didn't have a bunch of dead LEDs. i'd love to love them ... but ...

Cobound
03-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Are you sure they were the Maxbilt lights?

No, they are not the originators of this type of light, but they are truly the best - and IIRC, have a lifetime warranty.

Off Road Only (ORO) has a set, and they are junk...garbage! I know them as well, they are just down the road from me here in MN...decent guys, but I'd steer towards Maxbilt for damn sure! Long story, I'll refrain...

Maxbilt may have went through a revision, possible, but what they have now are damn near indestructible...and I've seen them take a beating personally, as well as seen their online video tests...won't find a better rear tail on the market.

6DoF
03-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Are you sure they were the Maxbilt lights?

No, they are not the originators of this type of light, but they are truly the best - and IIRC, have a lifetime warranty.

Off Road Only (ORO) has a set, and they are junk...garbage! I know them as well, they are just down the road from me here in MN...decent guys, but I'd steer towards Maxbilt for damn sure! Long story, I'll refrain...

Maxbilt may have went through a revision, possible, but what they have now are damn near indestructible...and I've seen them take a beating personally, as well as seen their online video tests...won't find a better rear tail on the market.

pretty sure mine are the ORO. i just know i got them from GenRight and they currently list the Maxbilt ones, that's why i asked. they look identical. wish i could get new ones, just can't bring myself to spend the money again.

maxbilt is lifetime, the way it should be.

edit: this is the ORO warranty ... talk about 100% horse sh!t ... "Unit replacement warranty if an LED fails within 90 days or three fail within 12 months." i'm sorry, but if 1 fails in the first 5 years you should be replacing it!!

Cobound
03-05-2019, 02:20 PM
Yep, exactly!! ORO is garbage. Matter of fact, like I said, long story....but I know him. I've actually been to the shop and watched them make them...garbage! Decided I'd never buy them after seeing them made. He did work on my Scrambler - won't let that happen to a Jeep I own again.

Their swaybars are solid, from what I've seen...that's about it. And I'm not spending that kind of money on those damn things.

Maxbilt lights are worth the money, I snagged a set in Moab last spring...it's a hard pill to swallow, but I'm glad I did. Look great, work great, solid guys.

Kurt
03-05-2019, 11:17 PM
Yep, exactly!! ORO is garbage. Matter of fact, like I said, long story....but I know him. I've actually been to the shop and watched them make them...garbage! Decided I'd never buy them after seeing them made. He did work on my Scrambler - won't let that happen to a Jeep I own again.

Their swaybars are solid, from what I've seen...that's about it. And I'm not spending that kind of money on those damn things.

Maxbilt lights are worth the money, I snagged a set in Moab last spring...it's a hard pill to swallow, but I'm glad I did. Look great, work great, solid guys.

Good to hear. My Genright corners and Maxbilt lights will be here Thursday.

Kurt
03-07-2019, 02:03 PM
full corners and the Maxbilt lights showed up. The lights do look and feel like a quality light, Im impressed.

Cobound
03-07-2019, 02:29 PM
:thumbsup:

Bit of install advice, be sure to put the side markers to the outside, lights are not marked Driver/Passenger - and you'll need a load equalizer to prevent quick tail light flashing. I don't have the resistor, and my lights are very intermittent...they sometimes blink fast, sometimes don't. Easy fix, I just haven't done it yet.

I'm sure you know wiring, but you can do a quick Google search if you don't...they don't come w/ specific wiring directions...guessing cuz they are basically universal to any Jeep.

Enjoy, look forward to hearing what you think of them once installed ;)

Kurt
03-11-2019, 12:06 PM
:eek:

https://kdfabworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/photos/IMG_7742.jpg

https://kdfabworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/photos/IMG_7743.jpg

6DoF
03-11-2019, 01:04 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/IOCXHPvn3WErm/giphy.gif

Cobound
03-11-2019, 01:47 PM
:brows:

xj_man_646
03-12-2019, 08:34 AM
Gotta love when brand new axles show up in crates.

I hope to be in this position some day :lol:

Blue XJ
03-13-2019, 06:09 AM
Gotta love when brand new axles show up in crates.

I hope to be in this position some day :lol:

x2

But couldn't they have used black RTV?

Cobound
03-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Personally, I like the contrast, and orange is my favorite color :lol:

Don't some do that just to show it's been done, like for quality control purposes...similar to using a white pen across bolts to show they've been torqued? :dunno:

That's why plumbers use purple cleaner, to show inspectors that the connection has been properly installed...but you can buy clear if you're doing it yourself and don't want those pipes to look goofy colors if they will be exposed in a common area.

Kurt
03-13-2019, 11:58 AM
x2

But couldn't they have used black RTV?

Personally, I like the contrast, and orange is my favorite color :lol:

I like the orange for a contrast as well, and it lets me know that its been sealed right when I open the crate.

Cobound
03-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Word :thumbsup:

Kurt
03-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Word :thumbsup:

I cant wait to get these installed, just need to find time now. The massive 4" axle tubes on the 80 are just impressive....they are almost the size of the outer part of the hub!

Cobound
03-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Yeah, helping my buddy Pat lift his recent purchase into his truck several weeks ago...those damn things are straight up beasts, f'n tanks :eek: :lol:

They look incredible just sitting there crated...but oh so much better under the Jeep :yes:

Blue XJ
03-13-2019, 03:01 PM
I like the orange for a contrast as well, and it lets me know that its been sealed right when I open the crate.

Nice looking set of axles right there, someday if I win the lotto I'll have a set delivered to my house. Definitely the way to go, instead of spending tons of hours hacking up junkyard ones to make them work.

Blue XJ
03-13-2019, 03:02 PM
I cant wait to get these installed, just need to find time now. The massive 4" axle tubes on the 80 are just impressive....they are almost the size of the outer part of the hub!

I remember the first time I saw a ujoint from a front 60, I was in awe how big it was compared to my little 297x. :roflmao:

Kurt
03-13-2019, 03:24 PM
I remember the first time I saw a ujoint from a front 60, I was in awe how big it was compared to my little 297x. :roflmao:

I really want to get them out of the crate and do some side by side comparison shots between the prorock44 that Im taking out, and the XD60 thats going in. Also the rear factory 44 vs. the 80. I kind of want to pull one of the shafts out of the 80 just to see the 40 spline shaft. :D

xj_man_646
03-13-2019, 03:57 PM
I really want to get them out of the crate and do some side by side comparison shots between the prorock44 that Im taking out, and the XD60 thats going in. Also the rear factory 44 vs. the 80. I kind of want to pull one of the shafts out of the 80 just to see the 40 spline shaft. :D

You should probably do all of those things :lol:

Kurt
04-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Did the swap. Waiting on my driveshafts to be modified now. Then will do some fine tuning to some things; pinion angle, alignment, bump stop adjustment....

http://kdfabworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/photos/IMG_8425.jpg

http://kdfabworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/photos/IMG_8426.jpg

http://kdfabworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/photos/IMG_8408.jpg

jeepkid05
04-22-2019, 11:49 AM
Gosh that is sexual

xj_man_646
04-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Yeah...that is awesome.

6DoF
04-22-2019, 02:18 PM
to "real jeep" ... not enough "JK bro-dozer"

Cobound
04-23-2019, 04:43 PM
NICE!!

I need a new set of rubber myself...

Kurt
04-24-2019, 11:27 AM
NICE!!

I need a new set of rubber myself...

Discount Tire had a sale that I got in on....with their rebates, I got my 40" Cooper STT's for $300 per tire.

Cobound
04-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Whoa! Nice...I need 3 if I go Nitto again (not sure I will for how bad and quick they wore down)...4 if I don't and I'd use the Nitto as a spare.

I don't need 5 matching at some prices...not sure what I'll get tho.

How you like those?

SRT8 has a set of Pro Comps, seemed to run nice all week.

Kurt
04-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Whoa! Nice...I need 3 if I go Nitto again (not sure I will for how bad and quick they wore down)...4 if I don't and I'd use the Nitto as a spare.

I don't need 5 matching at some prices...not sure what I'll get tho.

How you like those?

SRT8 has a set of Pro Comps, seemed to run nice all week.

This is the first time I've personally had the Coopers, but in our group of guys that wheel on our Moab and Rubicon trips, 4 of them run the coopers; 1 with 35" and 3 with 37" and the tires are awesome. Great on-road manners, and they do great on the granite, rocks and sandstone. Plus being american made makes me happy.

Cobound
04-24-2019, 12:49 PM
This is the first time I've personally had the Coopers, but in our group of guys that wheel on our Moab and Rubicon trips, 4 of them run the coopers; 1 with 35" and 3 with 37" and the tires are awesome. Great on-road manners, and they do great on the granite, rocks and sandstone. Plus being american made makes me happy.

:rock:

I'll look into them...I have two more long overland trips ahead, so I'll need to do something before July and the first trip...or absolutely by August the week after I get back from the July trip :lol:

Did you mount and balance yourself (bb's or lead) or did DT do it for you?

Kurt
04-24-2019, 01:29 PM
I mounted mine up myself since they are on KMC machette beadlocks, discount wont touch them.

I havent balanced them yet. Add 1 more of our group that has the Coopers, and he just went to 40's as well. He has them mounted on the same beadlocks as I do, and he says they are smooth on the highway, and he didnt do any balancing.

Cobound
04-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Smooth cuz you have hydro steering assist, likely...up front. No beads tho at all...hmmm...

Kurt
04-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Smooth cuz you have hydro steering assist, likely...up front. No beads tho at all...hmmm...

His has hydro assist yes, so that probably does play a big part in it. I was going to get mine on and see how they are before I decide what I want to do as far as beads or stick on

myjeepsbigger
04-24-2019, 02:36 PM
http://kdfabworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/photos/IMG_8425.jpg

There are a few people in this world, that no matter what they touch, it comes out looking awesome. Not sure if I like this one, or your last Jeep better. Both just look right. Props. :chug:

xj_man_646
04-24-2019, 02:53 PM
There are a few people in this world, that no matter what they touch, it comes out looking awesome. Not sure if I like this one, or your last Jeep better. Both just look right. Props. :chug:

For sure. 100% agree.

Cobound
04-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Ditto.

Kurt
04-25-2019, 01:27 PM

For sure. 100% agree.

Ditto.

:chug: Thanks guys

Cobound
04-25-2019, 02:03 PM
You're welcome...now let's go wheeling some time :rock:

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/58639027_992203306320_3178724769151320064_n.jpg?_n c_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=474d859204679e55e072dccfb781de96&oe=5D3A24DC

nblehm
04-27-2019, 11:33 AM
So whats with JKs (seemed to get popular around then) with dana 80s in the back? Seems like over kill. Yours is set up like that too right Brian?

Kurt
04-27-2019, 12:05 PM
Overkill, yes, but the clearance of the D80 vs a D60 are close to the same, and with the added strength of 4” axle tubes and 40 spline axles for not too much more sold it for me. We took some measurements to compare with my buddies Jeep. He has a Rubicon with 37” coopers, and mine with the XD60 and PR80 with 40” coopers. Under the rear diff, we both have 12” clearance. Under the front, he has 12” and I have 13.25”. He has a Synergy histeer Kit, and his tie rod has 14.5” of clearance. Mine on the 60 has 20.5”.

Plus, now I have a good base for doing an LS swap or something

Cobound
04-27-2019, 12:58 PM
^^^^;)

Yes, Nate!

6DoF
04-29-2019, 06:04 AM
So whats with JKs (seemed to get popular around then) with dana 80s in the back? Seems like over kill. Yours is set up like that too right Brian?

since JKs are so overweight, they need all that steel down low to help correct the CG :roflmao:

:f2:

bbaCJ8
04-29-2019, 08:32 AM
I'm on my second set of 40s on the TJ and neither have had any balancing whatsoever. Smooth as silk.

Cobound
04-29-2019, 10:35 AM
Nice! What are you running, and how are they wearing? Miles?

bbaCJ8
04-29-2019, 01:20 PM
Nice! What are you running, and how are they wearing? Miles?
Ran old style MTRs before and Toyo Open Country MTs now. I bought both used so not sure exact miles. I typically only drive it 2000-3000 miles a year and have a welded diff, so my results won't be terribly helpful.

Cobound
04-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Werd.

Jeepin Jason
05-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Geez, and here I am all excited because I got a set of adjustable remote reservoir shocks. :lol:

Cobound
05-08-2019, 09:11 AM
Geez, and here I am all excited because I got a set of adjustable remote reservoir shocks. :lol:

We all have things that trip our triggers :lol:

Just got the call, my driveshaft is done, excited to get it in and drive the Jeep again. Needs a good wash after Moab, since I haven't been able to move it since I got back.

Now I need to get the Rhino Rack and Roofnest mounted for an upcoming trek!

Kurt
05-08-2019, 03:36 PM

:lol: :chug:

Kurt
05-08-2019, 03:38 PM
So my drivelines are modified and back in. The rear trackbar bracket from Evo arrived and now I need to cut/modify the Dynatrac bracket to accept the Evo bracket. That will get the axle end bracket out of the way of the coilover reservoir when flexing.

Then, align it, fully bleed the brakes, and it *should* be good to drive.

Ive got the rear corners with Maxbilt LED's to put on as well. Then finish the new rear bumper with a tire carrier provision to get the tire weight off the tailgate and onto the frame.

Cobound
05-09-2019, 11:28 AM
You'll like the lights, super nice.

Got my driveshaft in, but the flange was threaded so getting it flush was a beyotch...have a little gap so I need to remove it and get them back in right. Just so little room under there that it takes forever...I'll get back at the two again tonight :banghead: