Jeepin.com Forums

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > General > Jeep Talk

Old 11-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
Ryan G
Trail Guide

Default Building Rack for TJ....advice??

Since I would rather build a rack then fork over a bunch of money for one that I kinda like, I have taken it upon myself to design a roof rack for my TJ. I have already built a front and rear bumper for my Jeep(pics to come soon) and thought this would be the next project. What I need is some advice on the mounting part as well as any cool ideas anyone has for this project.

Thanks, Ryan
Old 11-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

Default Rack for TJ

Well Ryan I am happy to see that some one out there is doing something about the rack problems. I would be willing to buy a rack from you if it turns out good.

This is what I am looking for and you may find alot of other people want this to considering no one else makes it. Trust me I have LOOKED EVERYWHERE!!

1-Rack that can hold at least 500lbs. Kargo master has this.

2-Rack that fits with the ARB Safari Snorkel. NO ONE HAS THIS!!!

3-Rack that will fit with already made attachment mounts like
A-High Lift
B-Shovel
C-Axe
D-Gas tanks

4-Not sure how many people would like this but have some sort of grab handles on it. (so if you are in a tight spot someone could hang on that part of the rack and hold the jeep down.

5-some osrt of a ladder.

Good luck pm me if you want to chat more or e-mail me.
Utah Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Ryan G
Trail Guide

I have looked everywhere for a rack, but I have not found one that I like 100%. The ladder idea is a good one, but will take some time to design, I am not sure about the snorkel because I don't have experience with one, and I did not know it was a problem. The attachments will be easy as will the 500 lb cap.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
JDsJeep
Trail Guide

I've thought about designing a "removable" rack that ties into rocker guards and a rear bumper essentially creating an exo-cage somehow, either with bolts or locking pins like on excercise equipment in gyms. Possibly one bar coming down along the windshield frame and the other with the main hoop for the roll cage with the last bar tieing into a rear bumper. And definently what Utah Jeeper said. Just my 2 cents since I have no fabricational skills what so ever.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

I like the idea of the exo thing. I like the look of the Safty device one except it has all the extra crap running all over the body. I think it would be cool to have some frame mount that comes out from the side of the rear frame. I wish I could draw. Anyway in the front it could come out from under the Jeep and bolt to the frame. then when not in use you could just un bolt it and use pins or a nu and bolt system to put it back together? And when no it use there would be nothing showing.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

One thing I also like is that most of the racks out there are not the full width of the Jeep. I think that is why wilderness looks so good. It is form fitting.

Check out...
safty devices (looks/Strenth)
wilderness (Looks)
kargo master (Strength/mounting system)

I bet with all they guys on here we could all make one that is pretty sweet!
Old 11-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
Ryan G
Trail Guide

The problem with tying it into the bumper/frame and the body, is that the body and frame need to be able to flex independently of each other. Its not much flex but it is still there, I don't know how this would effect the rack if any at all. I plan on making it easy to remove/tilt in able to remove the hardtop. Mounting would most likely be to the front windshield mount and the back will probably be something like the Kargo Master. The rack itself will probably be as big as the hardtop, just to give more cargo room. As for the ladder I was thinking of having it come down the back on the right side, kind of like the Land Rovers I have seen. Like I said it will just take time to design it the right way.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #8
Ryan G
Trail Guide

Do you have a link to Saftey Devices website?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

Check these out...
http://www.bwoverland.com/store.php?categoryid=35 By far the best rack out there. Not snorkel compatable.
http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/kargo...gocagemain.jpg
Simple ladder...http://www.offroadstore.co.uk/acatal...ublecabbig.jpg
http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/g...one/index.html
http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/i...lTwistRear.jpg

for me I would like to be able to load the thing up with the things I need for week long trips.

I think that the racks that Land Rovers have are a good start to get ideas from.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #10
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

Haveing four light mounts up there would be a good idea. Have the bars around the mounts so that they are not in the way?

I also like the way the rack on the safe device one goes aroud the windsheild.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:41 PM   #11
Wackodrumr
Trail Guide

Send a message via AIM to Wackodrumr

I know I'm kind of in the wrong thread since I drive an XJ. But when I made mine I took measurements from other racks on the market. Then I added a little spot up front for 4 hella 550's that has protection from branches and whatnot.

Jason's Wife has a cool set up where the rack is able to swing back so you don't have to take the rack completely off to take the top off.

This pic is just to show you the part I made for my lights. And yes I know I overbuilt the mounts.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:46 PM   #12
Twiek
E=IR P=IE

Send a message via AIM to Twiek Send a message via Yahoo to Twiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackodrumr
And yes I know I overbuilt the mounts.
Have you noticed a little more chassis rigidity with the rack?

Between the replacement rockers and rack, mine definately squeeks and flexes less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Jeeper
http://www.bwoverland.com/store.php?categoryid=35 By far the best rack out there. Not snorkel compatable.
Then why is it pictured with a snorkel?

I was thinking about making something very similar to that for the XJ... looks good
Twiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:34 AM   #13
Ryan G
Trail Guide

Heres what I got so far, the rack will be able to tilt back for easy top removal, going to have a ladder, which will most likely be kept under the rack until needed and then can be slid out from either the leftside or the rightside of the Jeep, anymore ideas on this will be grateful???, not sure on this yet. It will also have light mounts on the front and rear. Also not real sure on the rear mounts, yet, probably fab something up like Kargo Masters. Also I am thinking of 3/4 square tubing or round tubing, the round is really expensive. I think I will just fab up some mounts for a highlift, shovel and axe. Anymore ideas?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #14
Wackodrumr
Trail Guide

I used 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/16 it's plenty strong. Square was also easier cause all I had to cut with is a Cutoff wheel and my sawzall. But round definately looks better if you can bend it and notch it at all the welds..

Another factor you want to include is weight. You don't want to become more top heavy more than you have too.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #15
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

I called BW up and chatted with them on the rack. I was going to buy it until they told me the MELTED THE SNORKEL TO MAKE IT WORK. I am just not into the whole jerryriggin stuff.

great rack though!
Old 11-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #16
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

Round tubing is better looking and better for rust and stuff. For the ladder I would just make some small steps on the side of the bar that comes down from the rear. That way there is less parts to rattle around and they are on there.

I cant wait to see it and look forward to getting one if it turns out!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #17
Ryan G
Trail Guide

Are you talking about having the ladder on the side or coming off the back of the jeep? Because if it comes off the back(like a Land Rover, etc) then you would not be able to open the glass on the hardtop. I could make it come off one of the sides and have it mount under the Jeep?? I think it will look really nice once I get it done. And I agree round does look better, but I priced some 3/4" round tubing that was 1/8" thick and it was like almost $50 for 24'. And I figure there will be almost 75' with the frame, rack and floor, but I am kinda thinking that was for some chromoly stuff?? I have the mounts for the front done and will post pics as soon as I can. I just need to find some sort of hinge for the back, any ideas?? I guess I could fab something up.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #18
Wackodrumr
Trail Guide

1/8" is too thick.... Really, all you need is 1/16"
Old 11-21-2005, 09:02 PM   #19
Ryan G
Trail Guide

You are probably right about going with 1/16, I was thinking 1/8 for another project. I was thinking about going 60"x40" for the size of the rack, that pretty much covers the whole top of the jeep with 4.5"-5" sides, I like the look of the taller sides.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:26 PM   #20
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

I also like the look of the taller sides. I think some sort of ladder with one or two inch little spike things coming out from the side of the rear rack would work for the ladder.

check out this for the bottom. You could put some cross bars and this wire mesh suff along the bottom, light and strong.

http://www.landroverparts.us/landrov...very2Gear.html
Old 11-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #21
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

http://www.rackwarehouse.com/images/top5step-prd.jpg

I was looking all over for this picture. Something like this welded on small but strong.
Looks cool to.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #22
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

Is that the same size as the wilderness?

I hope you know I check this post every day to see if you have started or added pics yet.

So how much do you think you are up to so far? $$$
Old 11-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #23
Ryan G
Trail Guide

Whoops, the correct size will be 60"x46" with 5" sides. The front mounts are done and look kinda like the Kargo Master ones. I am going to use 1" x 1/16" round tubing for the whole thing, which cost me $77.50 for 100' and I picked that up today. The front mounts cost me less than $2 each and will post pics of them probably this weekend. I figure the whole project will cost me in the area of $150-$175 with paint and a few welding supplies. So all I have left to design is the rear mounts, ladder, light tabs(easy) and tool mounts(easy). Then I can finally start putting it all together. It is going to take sometime with school and work, but I figure I can have it done by Jan 1st. Hopefully.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #24
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

I cant wait to see it! Keep us updated and make sure you load tons of pictures of the building as it goes along!
Old 12-29-2005, 03:24 PM   #25
Utah Jeeper
Trail Guide

just seeing if anything has become of this yet?