Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
I believe we would still be running with carburetors if the emissions and fuel economy regulations had not tightened. They have been the main driver to the major technological advancements in gasoline and diesel engines in the last 40 years.
At some point there would have been a point that they needed to move on technologically to get more power than last years' model in order to make sales. Seems that carbs were close to their limit. The regulations just steered everyone in the right directions speeding up the change. And folks say the government isn't good for anything.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
And folks say the government isn't good for anything.
It isnt.

You folks are out of your minds with the carb talk. Drivability alone would be pushing technology. Nobody is going to want to talk on their iPhone and have to pull a choke cable to get their new car to start. (Over the top example) Are they pushing to meet all these standards yes, they would still be making new advancements without them, maybe just a different direction or slower pace.

1990 Camry vs 2018 Camry, I bet the price points are pretty big too.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
It isnt.

You folks are out of your minds with the carb talk. Drivability alone would be pushing technology. Nobody is going to want to talk on their iPhone and have to pull a choke cable to get their new car to start. (Over the top example) Are they pushing to meet all these standards yes, they would still be making new advancements without them, maybe just a different direction or slower pace.

1990 Camry vs 2018 Camry, I bet the price points are pretty big too.
You wouldn't have much to see on the iPhone if the government's DARPA-NET hadn't come first.

No one doubts that technology would still be making cars better. But, the clean air push undoubtedly made these changes faster, and in the long run cheaper for the private sector to make thanks to the government funded R&D. America would suck without our private industry, would also suck without our strong democratic government. It is a pretty good partnership overall. Worst system of government and economy, except for all the others.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
At some point there would have been a point that they needed to move on technologically to get more power than last years' model in order to make sales. Seems that carbs were close to their limit. The regulations just steered everyone in the right directions speeding up the change. And folks say the government isn't good for anything.
Yeah, carburetors are gutless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZGEnFWuo_A
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
Yeah, carburetors are gutless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZGEnFWuo_A
Old 05-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
it's possible to get a carb'd vehicle to pass today's emissions regulations ... you just have to hand tune every one coming off the line for the exact environment that it'll be driven. EFI was just easier to do it, and offered more consistent performance for the customer over longer periods of time.
6DoF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
it's possible to get a carb'd vehicle to pass today's emissions regulations ... you just have to hand tune every one coming off the line for the exact environment that it'll be driven. EFI was just easier to do it, and offered more consistent performance for the customer over longer periods of time.
Exactly. Carbs give you power, can give you tons of power, they just can't be made to give you consistent maintenance-free power. Fuel injections was inevitable, but regulations speed up the process and pointed it in a good directions.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
CJ74U2NV

Quote:
Carbs give you power, can give you tons of power, they just can't be made to give you consistent maintenance-free power.

I have 2 vehicles with carbs. I haven't had to touch the carburetors on them in decades. I've never heard of anyone saying "I need to fix that carburetor again".

Carbs might not be "fine tunable" like FI, don't work on steep inclines and can't adjust on the go to the environment. But they're very, very dependable. Got a dead battery? My carb & mechanical fuel pump still works.

Computer controlled FI is for two reasons:
1. More difficult for the average shade tree mechanic to work on.
2. Government regulations.
CJ74U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ74U2NV View Post

I have 2 vehicles with carbs. I haven't had to touch the carburetors on them in decades. I've never heard of anyone saying "I need to fix that carburetor again".
Seriously? "gotta get another carb rebuild kit"

Quote:
But they're very, very dependable. Got a dead battery? My carb & mechanical fuel pump still works.
A dead battery is a problem for any vehicle when starting it, so it doesn't really matter that way.

And otherwise, the fuel injection is much much more reliable day in and day out for starting a vehicle.

Quote:
Computer controlled FI is for two reasons:
1. More difficult for the average shade tree mechanic to work on.
Easier for someone with a little knowledge to properly investigate instead of throwing parts at it. But then again most people who have issues with using new technology to work with newer cars are likely some sort of technological troglodyte who "can't work the computer"

Quote:
2. Government regulations.
Yup, emissions regs from the government pushed the need for better fuel control, the solution was FI. And without it we would have smog like China. I like clean air and being able to breath.

This country would be much more of a "**** hole" without such standards than it is.
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote