Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk

Old 09-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm
Default Jk axles in my wagoneer

So Ive been tossing around this idea. Getting some take out jk axles and suspension and swapping them into my wagoneer project. Figure I can use all the control arms and coils etc from a stock jk. Just would need to make frame brackets. I'm going to need to rebuild the current axles anyway and build steering. I'm also going to have to redo all the perches because they are shady and I'll need all new leafs anyway for a lift.

Pros: disc
brakes all around/bigger brakes
Drag link goes to knuckle
3.73 gears (set I'm looking at)
Coil suspension/ride quality

Cons:
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
FUBAR
four years later???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post

Cons:
They aren't 60s
Old 09-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

I hope you're looking at a set of JK Rubicon axles?

You should already have a relatively beefy D44 front axle right? A Waggy 44 front swap is a common upgrade for XJs and TJs, and if you're looking at a JK D30 front I think it'd be a step backwards.

And a JK front axle wouldn't have manual hubs (yeah, there are swap kits but they're $$$).
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Agree with Jason....if you've already got the front waggy 44 stick with that. The waggy 44 would be stronger than a stock JK 44.....unless you sleeve it and gusset the C's. And even doing that you still dont have the manual hubs and larger bolt pattern

Take your stock front 44 and get an Artec bracket kit for it and do it that way if you want coils and a 4/5 link.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

This is a street machine maybe a camping trip here and there. Not really worried about strength. I won't be wheeling it.

I was just looking at the dana 30 and dana 44. Can get them with 3.73s and I think an lsd. So I don't have to regear, the only thing I'd be losing is the hubs. Which I think I'd trade for bigger brakes better steering and rear discs.
The current axles are in who knows what condition, 2.72 gears. The thought is I'd actually be ahead money wise swapping to a jk axle and suspension by the time I rebuild both axles and all the suspension anyway. Maybe I'm wrong

Jk axles are also a little wider right?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

So jk axles are around 65" looks like.

What's a set of rubicon axles worth you think. Found a guy selling some but wants me to make an offer
Old 09-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #7
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

I assumed JK axles would be narrower than the Wagoneer stuff...I know that was the case with my XJ

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #8
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

You can also do crossover steering with a Chevy knuckle and steering arm assuming your currently running the 6x5.5 setup.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #9
FUBAR
four years later???

Are rear disks hard to do with the bolt pattern? I've done 5 on 5.5 and 8 on 6.5 but never a 6 on 5.5.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

I was going to go with a rodeo rear axle. Can get 4.10s and disc brakes. And then just weld new perches on. That's about the easiest way to get rear discs.

Now I'm just kicking around this idea. Stock Waggy width axles are 59.5-61" ish. Wagoneer have like 3" of baclspacing on the wheels from the factory.

Edit* I found a set of jk axles on Craigslist for 500 bucks with 6k miles. By the time I rebuild my current axles, buy a hi steer knuckle and rear disc brakes I'm way over 500 bucks in parts. That's what brought on this idea. The suspension is a moot point because either way all the frame brackets need to come off and be redone and I need all new leafs etc

Last edited by nblehm; 09-21-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

the JK axles are far from an upgrade in strength, but street only shouldn't be an issue ... i would suspect the $500 axles are 3.07's though.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #12
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

They are 3.73. I was planning on 4.10s but 373s are fine. There are plenty of dana 30 jks running around with 35s on them. I know they have housing issues but the wagoneer probably doesn't weight anymore than a jk and will have 32" tires. The strength isn't really that mu cheaper of a concern for me.

Maybe I'm making it too simple. Who knows I might have to cut everything off the axles. At that point it's not worth it.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #13
Cobound
- The Don -

When I was looking at building our last JK, the first thing I was told to do was ditch the axles

Of course, I wanted to wheel it. Honestly, if you're willing to put in all that work and get them set up, a cheap set will do nicely for your purposes and will then later be ready to upgrade to a built set of them, should you want to go that route to wheel more. I've seen plenty of JKs on the trail on 35s and they do just fine...to each his own.

B

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
When I was looking at building our last JK, the first thing I was told to do was ditch the axles

Sometimes I think the internet gets a hold of something and takes it too far. (no, that doesn't happen).

Plenty of people have been out wheeling their dana 30's with no problems. But if you are on a jk forum you need dynatrac 60's for the speed bumps at the mall.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #15
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:

Sometimes I think the internet gets a hold of something and takes it too far. (no, that doesn't happen).

Plenty of people have been out wheeling their dana 30's with no problems. But if you are on a jk forum you need dynatrac 60's for the speed bumps at the mall.
No, I mean BUILD it...like I was looking at a Hemi, 37/40 rubber, something to take a long haul and abuse it and not be so worried about breaking - and I'm talking about guys that build them - like TNT Customs, etc. I don't belong to a JK forum, and I don't follow that crap. However, 37s and 40s on D30s - first thing you do is ditch the stock axles

Now, if you would've quoted my entire comment, I agreed w/ you doing a light build, keeping the axles you have or want and being fine. There are plenty of folks wheeling stock axles just fine...don't think you'd be any different.

Start locking, hitting some hard shyt, you'll be upgrading.

Quote:

Of course, I wanted to wheel it. Honestly, if you're willing to put in all that work and get them set up, a cheap set will do nicely for your purposes and will then later be ready to upgrade to a built set of them, should you want to go that route to wheel more. I've seen plenty of JKs on the trail on 35s and they do just fine...to each his own.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #16
FUBAR
four years later???

You can't get gearing and rear disks for $500 even if you buy parts and do it yourself.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #17
Cobound
- The Don -

Trooph.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #18
JEEPJERK
Wanna make out?

all axles are the same
JEEPJERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #19
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:

the JK D30 is weaker than a TJ D30 unless you truss it. i know ppl who have bent that axle on large pot holes. my JK came with the axle broken in half after a light roll.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #20
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
No, I mean BUILD it...like I was looking at a Hemi, 37/40 rubber, something to take a long haul and abuse it and not be so worried about breaking - and I'm talking about guys that build them - like TNT Customs, etc. I don't belong to a JK forum, and I don't follow that crap. However, 37s and 40s on D30s - first thing you do is ditch the stock axles

Now, if you would've quoted my entire comment, I agreed w/ you doing a light build, keeping the axles you have or want and being fine. There are plenty of folks wheeling stock axles just fine...don't think you'd be any different.

Start locking, hitting some hard shyt, you'll be upgrading.
I wasn't talking about your build I know you were looking big. Just your standard jk build on 35s.

So what are the tubes thin or something? I remember now my buddy that tows broke a jk d30 in half pulling it from the axle. Could have beem because it was wrecked too