Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2022, 08:12 AM   #1
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Default All Electric Jeep Recon

Who would consider it?
https://jalopnik.com/jeep-recon-wago...uvs-1849508083

Seems to be aimed at the Bronco buyer. Sort of like the 1972-1973 Jeep Commando.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:21 AM   #2
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

I like how it looks, but I am not yet sold on 100% EV for my personal consideration. I like the idea of PHEV more as of today.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #3
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

hhhaaaaarrrddd pass

even my wife is jumping ship ... she's trying to buy a 2005 LJ now n sell her 2018 Hemi Grand
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
Dennis
Semper Fi !

They need to put the mirrors on the body a'la new Bronco, CJs, and the 1987 YJ.
I will have to see its true highway range. Can it get me to the Outer Banks on a Saturday morning mid-summer when I-95 and I-64 are accordions of traffic hell?
Old 09-08-2022, 10:06 AM   #5
xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
hhhaaaaarrrddd pass

even my wife is jumping ship ... she's trying to buy a 2005 LJ now n sell her 2018 Hemi Grand
Hard pass for what reason(s)?

Why is she selling the 2018?

I like diesels
Old 09-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #6
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

My buddy just got his Rivian delivered we are going to go wheeling. Me in the Willy’s

If I bought a new car it would be electric. That said I am WAAAAY to cheap to buy a new car.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

As for the jeep. Looks to much like a hummer h3. Give me a plug in JL
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #8
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
I
Old 09-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #9
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
I am considering one. But considering a Bronco as well.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Hard pass for what reason(s)?

Why is she selling the 2018?
we've had more than enough EV debates, for all the reasons. and off road even more so.

the GC however ... she needs something on the compact side to park in the city, the grand is kind of the limit. has to be AWD for her foul weather ride. she's been converted and it has to be entertaining along with fast n loud now too! then weigh that against costs. the hemi GC kinda stands alone.

maintenance issues on this one, along with dealer BS, has just turned her off to it. for 1/3 the cost she could drive an LJ that's more entertaining just not as fast, and not depreciating. i've said that enough times about Hank i think she's accidentally buying into it now! everything needs maintenance, might as well have something easier to work on, cheaper, more available parts, etc etc. she now hates dealers as much as me finally.

plus she wants a 2024 hybrid Vette for the AWD. we could ditch all debt but the house by selling the GC for a TJ and she could start saving.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:41 AM   #11
xj_man_646

So you have a hard pass based on principal of the EV, not this specific one, necessarily.

I would be very surprised if you didn't start seeing electric rock crawlers starting to make their way into competitions very soon; there are clear advantages to short stint run times but clear disadvantages for trail riding, etc.

I think the PHEV Wrangler would be sweet; sounds like Will got to wheel with one recently and said it was pretty cool.

The AWD Hybrid Vette should be sweet. I can't have a fast car anymore...I'm still too irresponsible . That said...I do want to turbo my red truck :evil:

I like diesels
Old 09-12-2022, 02:07 PM   #12
xj_man_646

Personally, I don't want to be messing around with a high voltage system anyways.

What would you feasibly see yourself fixing related to the EV system? I sure wouldn't be one signing up to tear into a battery pack or deep into the inner working of the motors. But that is me, and historically speaking, I do not get along well with electrons.

I would like to have an EV for my local commuter vehicle someday. I don't think the ICE powered trucks are going anywhere anytime soon (unless you're looking to buy new in CA) so I should be good there for awhile.

I like diesels
Old 09-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #13
Dennis
Semper Fi !

I don't know any do it yourselfer who rewound their alternator/generator on their vehicles if that was a needed repair. Some things have always been sent out or replaced. That is what core charges are for. Electric vehicles won't be too far different in that concept. Batteries will continue to improve and so will ideas for in the field recharging technology.
For now I don't know if I would buy an all electric off-roader. But the Wrangler 4xE is getting my attention and wish there was a comparable Bronco right now.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:10 AM   #14
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Old 09-13-2022, 06:21 PM   #15
xj_man_646

FWIW, they will be requiring access to repair information for independent repair shops (and likely the consumers who want to pay for that level of info, think alldata - I'm literally sitting in a conference on this subject right now).

I'm not sure what that would mean in terms of programming any particular module (not something people generally have access to now, either) but I don't think it will be as bad as you're describing.

I like diesels
Old 09-14-2022, 11:51 AM   #16
xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
Right now you can buy a subscription to just about any of the major manufacturers and be able to flash components. It's because it's the law.
This is not going to change, based on the discussions on upcoming regulations I am sitting in on this week.

I like diesels
Old 09-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #17
Hoofmann
AKA: Kebo

This is a no from me.

Same reasons as Mr. Blehm except if I were to purchase a new car, it would NOT be electric.

Yeah, it’s cool that a Tesla Plaid is basically the fastest car you can buy, but I still have a lot of love for internal combustion engines. I like V8s. I like turbos. I love the visceral experience of driving a big, loud performance machine.

I’m also not sold that electric cars are the answer to the emissions reductions that the gov is going to impose on us. Strip mining Cobalt and all these other materials needed for EVs can’t be nearly as environmentally friendly as drilling for oil. It’s perfect for the NIMBY crowd, however.

It doesn’t matter, either way. I’m typically a late adopter anyway. The biggest thing for new cars, for me, is all these excessive bells and whistles that come on cars now.

Imagine buying a 2022 Jeep in 10 years, with 10 cameras, lane assist, adaptive cruise, etc etc etc. Now it’s 2032 and half of that crap works and you’re not allowed to touch it CuZ rIgHt tO RePaIr!!!!

No. Just no.
Hoofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:18 PM   #18
xj_man_646

You're correct that cars are becoming less and less of the overall environmental 'issue', but that is because of how clean they are already. It drives me nuts that CARB is still chasing air quality improvements from light duty vehicles when the new ones are already likely cleaning the air in the LA basin. IMO, they have done pretty much all they can reasonably do, but they are a .gov operation so they will continue to try to justify their existence until nothing is using fossil fuels anymore .

FWIW...Right to Repair technically enables you to have access to the OEM level information and tools. Likely won't be cheap though.

I've got some experience driving vehicles from nearly 10 years ago that has adaptive cruise and some other fancy stuff. I haven't experienced any drivers aids that were broken or malfunctioning, even on one such FCA product . To me, it seems that newer vehicles have an easier time lasting longer than older ones. I.e.: When I bought my 8 year old 2005 GMC, it had significantly more wrong with it than my 9 year old 2013 Ford (both of which had over 200k miles at the time of purchase).

I like diesels

Last edited by xj_man_646; 09-15-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:14 AM   #19
Cobound
- The Don -

Yeah, I'm no early adopter either, it'll take a while for me to get on board w/ an EV, but I don't hate them. Hate mandates, but not the progression of them.

I laugh when I hear "they sure don't make them like they used to"...on anything, much less vehicles, cuz you're right, they make them better...and they tend to last a lot longer

Hell, safety alone...

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #20
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
I laugh when I hear "they sure don't make them like they used to"...on anything, much less vehicles, cuz you're right, they make them better...and they tend to last a lot longer
That quote is so misapplied now. Some stuff is definitely built much better, with longer life spans and more features.

But some stuff is being built to a price point that used to be built to last, with the ability to service anything essentially long gone. Are there any tv or vacuum repair stores anymore? I don't know of any by my area. Just go buy a new one when it breaks!

To me, the question will be will we find the EVs in the long term harder to service, so they may last longer in their service life before needing repair, only to then become unusable at the first failure whereas a gas engine'd vehicle could have been repaired?
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote