Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
sukemecuke

Send a message via AIM to sukemecuke
Default Actually doing Jeep stuff

HATE the plastic bumpers on this thing. Even with them being ceramic coated I have to reapply every 6 months or else I'll start seeing the white/gray spots. So I got a new rear bumper for the time being. Front will be replaced soon-ish. Need my bank account to recover after all the boat parts and Christmas.

I went with a budget brand after reading all the good reviews. Only complaints were nicks from shipping. Which mine had a TINY one right on the ends. Touched it up with touch up paint and moving on,.

Hanging it from the ceiling from my hard top hoist to air brush the ceramic coating on prior to installation.

Coating done.

It fit fvcking perfect! Heard some complaints of folks saying they had to tweak it around to get it to fit. Which were rare, and figured most of those people are just full of sh1t, or retarded.

Installed this too. Not much to see and didn't take any pics of the install.

Didn't wanna drill my bumper so drill through my license plate. Right now I'll manually fill up the bags through the schrader valve. Don't forsee me adjusting these much.
[

It's fun to watch the back end go up and down when you put air in or out. HAH!
sukemecuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
Cobound
- The Don -

Saw that on FB, looks clean. Well purposed purchase, since you don’t wheel it...lil bulky for me otherwise.

The bumper I ordered for Nissa’s TJ had the same shipping issues, ends brushed and chipped...otherwise solid as they come, especially for the price!

Interesting to see the bags, I’ve seen more people doing that...especially those towing. Pretty easy?

Take those D-Rings off...ugh, the clanking drives me nuts! And you never use them...do you?

As always, nicely done.

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
sukemecuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Saw that on FB, looks clean. Well purposed purchase, since you don’t wheel it...lil bulky for me otherwise.

The bumper I ordered for Nissa’s TJ had the same shipping issues, ends brushed and chipped...otherwise solid as they come, especially for the price!

Interesting to see the bags, I’ve seen more people doing that...especially those towing. Pretty easy?

Take those D-Rings off...ugh, the clanking drives me nuts! And you never use them...do you?

As always, nicely done.
They have rubber isolators. Don't hear a thing. Part of the reason I went with this bumper specifically. Yeah I wanted the bulk as I wanted it to follow the stock fenders and such.

Bags were super easy and will be fantastic for towing. Jack up the back end and let the suspension droop, roll up the bags, and slide them through the coils. Run the air lines and you're done. I went slow and it took me maybe an hour.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Cobound
- The Don -

Yeah, those rubber isolators can be bought separately...I’ll pass.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 12-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
sukemecuke

Quote:
Yeah, those rubber isolators can be bought separately...I’ll pass.
They can, but didn't wanna add yet another thing to order. Wanted to make it simple for the ole wife.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
Cobound
- The Don -

I hear ya...they came w/ Nissa's TJ bumper as well...I took them off and tossed them in the corner, still all bright and shiny...they are for sale on the local CL and FB MP

Old 12-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Nice! I like that bumper. I also didn't know you do / can airbrush the ceramic coating on.

When you apply those coatings, do you let it dry / cure and that is it? I recall you saying the application can be tricky...how do you remove the coating if you eff it up?

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
sukemecuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Nice! I like that bumper. I also didn't know you do / can airbrush the ceramic coating on.

When you apply those coatings, do you let it dry / cure and that is it? I recall you saying the application can be tricky...how do you remove the coating if you eff it up?
Yup. It's easier for textured surfaces to get it in the nooks and crannies. If you eff it up the only way you're going to remove it is to polish it off. It chemically bonds to paint. I.E. becomes part of your clear coat. So to remove it you have to remove the layer of clear that is now part of the ceramic coating. The application is only tricky as it goes on completely clear and you have to have the eye to see when it has flashed and is ready to be buffed off. Which can be trained if you don't naturally have a keen eye for defects and things like that.

Only time I generally air brush coatings on is things like air dams/grilles that are a honeycomb type shaped or wheels that have a fvck ton of small areas to get sh1t into......or metals/plastics that are very textured.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
Put a second one in and fill them independently... will be much nicer when towing the boat as the air won't be forced to the other bag when going around corners or over bumps.
I thought about that as well and did a little research before I put the same type of setup on my wife's Tahoe. It's a non-issue. Ours are rated at 30psi, so not crazy to begin with, and there's 4-5ft of 1/4" OD air line tying them together so there's plenty of restriction fighting any side-to-side flow during cornering. I put them on T'd together like Suke but brought all the parts along to separate them. 500+ miles towing a big asss 8k lb camper around hilly/curvy northern Michigan and zero complaints whatsoever about the setup. If/when I do a setup like this again I'll do it the same way. Besides the ease of filling simultaneously, I also like the peace of mind knowing that if there's a leak or blowout I won't end up with uneven loading and the potentially nasty handling that it could cause.

Before you come back with 6 paragraphs of why I'm wrong and flow calculations through the 1/8" ID air lines, know that I simply don't care. I did my own research, I tested it, and it works great with that setup. Maybe it's different towing 30k lb with a 1 ton dually, but it works with a 1/2 ton towing a camper and I'm confident it'll do just as well with a JK towing a jet boat.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
sukemecuke

Quote:
Put a second one in and fill them independently... will be much nicer when towing the boat as the air won't be forced to the other bag when going around corners or over bumps.
Thought about that, but the extra work wasn't worth the small benefit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
If/when I do a setup like this again I'll do it the same way. Besides the ease of filling simultaneously, I also like the peace of mind knowing that if there's a leak or blowout I won't end up with uneven loading and the potentially nasty handling that it could cause.

Maybe it's different towing 30k lb with a 1 ton dually, but it works with a 1/2 ton towing a camper and I'm confident it'll do just as well with a JK towing a jet boat.
And that as well
Old 12-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #11
Cobound
- The Don -

Old 12-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
Cobound
- The Don -

There it is

Old 12-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
bbaCJ8
old and boring

It's almost too easy. The subject matter expert on all subjects has it covered once again.

Enjoy your deathtrap Suke, I'll leave the bickering out of it.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #14
sukemecuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
It's almost too easy. The subject matter expert on all subjects has it covered once again.

Enjoy your deathtrap Suke, I'll leave the bickering out of it.
I will.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #15
sukemecuke

So I bought a couple boxes of this kilmat stuff to do my engine bay on my boat as the factory stuff was getting brittle and crumbling.

Evidenced here

Only took about a box to do the boat, so I thought hmmmmmm don't wanna deal with the hassle of shipping this back so figured I might as well do the jeep.

Love this thing, I could strip the interior out in under an hour.

Cleaned it up and wiped it all down with alcohol.

Took about 3-4 hours to lay all this stuff down.

Interior all back in.

I didn't really have any expectations as to what it would do for road noise or whatever, but HOLY CRAP did it quiet it down significantly. I'd say it's ALMOST as quiet as our Civic, which is the quietest car I've ever owned. Can barely hear the hum of the tires at highway speed, which is nice for long trips. Also nice you can have a conversation at highway speeds without yelling at each other.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #16
Cobound
- The Don -

I'd ask how it holds up to water...but not only did you put it in a boat, you'll never get the inside of your JK wet anyway

Nicely done! What would you estimate the cost of doing that to the Jeep?

I run mine ONLY in the late spring, all summer and into late fall...never w/ a top on it too long, so I can't really see me doing this, unless I went 100% overlanding build w/ the top on all the time and drove it more year round.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #17
sukemecuke

Quote:
I'd ask how it holds up to water...but not only did you put it in a boat, you'll never get the inside of your JK wet anyway

Nicely done! What would you estimate the cost of doing that to the Jeep?

I run mine ONLY in the late spring, all summer and into late fall...never w/ a top on it too long, so I can't really see me doing this, unless I went 100% overlanding build w/ the top on all the time and drove it more year round.
It's waterproof, which is why I put it in the boat. It was about $100. Bunch of people on the jetboat forums used it, so I thought hmmmm I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #18
sukemecuke

Quote:
So would you say Kilmat is as good as Dynamat xtreme? I tried Noico (garbage) and Hushmat (mediocre). Never got as far as trying Kilmat because I figured it if was way cheaper than Dynamat and wasn't made out of asphalt it was probably junk like Noico.

I have two 36 square foot packages of Dynamat Xtreme in my boat. Made a world of difference. Only thing preventing you from talking at speed is wind noise. Used to have to scream at people at idle.
No idea, but it costs 1/3 the price. Most of the noise comes up through the floor, that's why people complain when they put the headliner pads in the hardtop it doesn't so much. This made it a world of difference. I'll likely put this underneath when I eventually get the DEI boom mat stuff.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #19
Blue XJ

Send a message via AIM to Blue XJ

I've been looking into the Kilmat for my hotrod as well, the price seems decent. I've bought cheaper stuff before and was less than impressed.
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #20
sukemecuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue XJ View Post
I've been looking into the Kilmat for my hotrod as well, the price seems decent. I've bought cheaper stuff before and was less than impressed.
Yeah it's all about what your expectations are. I had none since it was left over from doing my boat. There are probably WAY better options, but at this price point it's hard to beat.