Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2023, 07:38 AM   #21
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

locally there are wranglers 6-9k below MSRP on the lots ... Rams are 10k off msrp here
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:05 AM   #22
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
locally there are wranglers 6-9k below MSRP on the lots ... Rams are 10k off msrp here
I briefly talked to Cobound about new gladiators because there are max tow gladiators for under 40k on the lots here. Then I came to my senses.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:07 AM   #23
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
I priced out a Rubicon recently, and it was just over $70K. Now, that was basically fully loaded, with the 35" tire pkg, steel bumpers, winch, hard top, color matched flares/top, upgraded stereo, etc. Which I figure was still cheaper overall than starting with a regular Rubicon and then adding a lift, tires, bumpers, winch, etc after market. But still... that's literally Lexus GX460 money. And far more than any 4Runner. But at the same time, the Wrangler has 35" tires, bumpers, winch, etc. so it's basically fully modded up and ready to go wherever you're willing to take it. The base model Rubicon now starts are more than what my well-equipped 2016 HardRock stickered at... And the Rubicon X MSRP is 2x what I paid for my 2009 Rubicon.
$70k is a decently equipped Audi Q7, it is a very well equipped Porsche Macan with the base powertrain.

A Wrangler Rubicon is more fun and can get a bit deeper into the woods during the apocalypse, but not nearly as comfortable for the day to day, and I have to assume far cheaper to build. Bean counters at Stellantis are on the cusp of pushing prices too far and taking the brand over a financial cliff.

Only Wrangler acquisition deal that looks reasonably affordable to most is the 4xe lease that rolls the tax credit in, but you have nothing to show except some memories when the lease is up.

The days of Wranglers being average priced cars for the everyman are over.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 12:34 PM   #24
6DoF

it blows for us, but they couldn't make em fast enough ... so i don't blame them.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:00 PM   #25
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Comparing a rubicon to a base YJ price isn’t fair.

Not that I am arguing a 70k jeep isn’t waaaaay too much
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 06:25 AM   #26
6DoF

that's early run too with the non-family cage ... that thing could still be carbureted
Old 10-20-2023, 08:44 AM   #27
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
that's early run too with the non-family cage ... that thing could still be carbureted
There was no YJ Rubicon equivalent. The base listed there is a fuel injected 2.5L I-4

But still, you can
Old 10-20-2023, 08:45 AM   #28
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
Comparing a rubicon to a base YJ price isn’t fair.

Not that I am arguing a 70k jeep isn’t waaaaay too much
Quote:
There was no YJ Rubicon equivalent. The base listed there is a fuel injected 2.5L I-4

But still, you can not get a two door JL for under $32k. Right at the average 2023 new car price. That average car priced base option less JL is much better equipped than the 1988 base YJ. But still the 2023 more than half the average US salary while the 1988 was less than half.
Old 10-20-2023, 12:55 PM   #29
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Adjusting for inflation alone, $8,995 in 1989 is about $28k today. Not tooooo far off when you factor in the extra development costs, along with the costs of all the electronic gizmos and gadgets that vehicles are required to have now (along with the additional creature comforts)...doesn't seem terribly far off the $32k Dennis mentions.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 06:39 PM   #30
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Compared to average income, still too much.

I have a feeling that vehicle price increases are going to level back off as interest rates for them are the highest in 30 years and triple what they were 10 years ago.

Zero down, zero percent is gone for a long long time.
Old 10-23-2023, 11:45 AM   #31
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
I priced out a Rubicon recently, and it was just over $70K. Now, that was basically fully loaded, with the 35" tire pkg, steel bumpers, winch, hard top, color matched flares/top, upgraded stereo, etc. Which I figure was still cheaper overall than starting with a regular Rubicon and then adding a lift, tires, bumpers, winch, etc after market. But still... that's literally Lexus GX460 money. And far more than any 4Runner. But at the same time, the Wrangler has 35" tires, bumpers, winch, etc. so it's basically fully modded up and ready to go wherever you're willing to take it. The base model Rubicon now starts are more than what my well-equipped 2016 HardRock stickered at... And the Rubicon X MSRP is 2x what I paid for my 2009 Rubicon.
Yep, while prices are absurd, if you're looking for a min 35" tire w/ mods and not having to do them yourself, saving labor, this is a buy to make.

Still tough to stomach tho.

Quote:
Yep, if you're a smart shopper and been looking for a long time, know what you're looking for and ready to pull the trigger w/ a fat down payment, there are deals out there for the taking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
I briefly talked to Cobound about new gladiators because there are max tow gladiators for under 40k on the lots here. Then I came to my senses.
Dude, I don't normally lose someone, as soon as they talk to me they go buy...you're an outlier

Think of all the free time you'd have w/o having to work on your old stuff

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 02:34 PM   #32
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Compared to average income, still too much.

I have a feeling that vehicle price increases are going to level back off as interest rates for them are the highest in 30 years and triple what they were 10 years ago.

Zero down, zero percent is gone for a long long time.
Is it though?

Average income in 1989, based on my quick and dirty research was 21k. YJ pricing was approximately 43% of that.

Average income in 2022 was 75k. JL 2 door pricing of 32k is 43% of that.

Vehicle prices aren't high because interest rates were low. Vehicle prices went to the moon when the OEMs couldn't supply the demand for them. As far as I've been able to tell, the demand side of things hasn't really changed much. My dad purchased a 2020 Ford Raptor in 2019 for 53k and sold it in 2020 or 2021 (can't recall exactly because COVID also ruined my sense of time recollection), back to the same dealership, for 70k, due to the demand and lack of supply.

I've seen several offerings of 0% financing on trucks, as recently as last week.

I like diesels

Last edited by xj_man_646; 10-23-2023 at 02:37 PM.
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:12 AM   #33
KIAKillerXJ

My boss just got a 392 with 5k miles.. 85k . INSANE
KIAKillerXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:51 AM   #34
Cobound
- The Don -

That's actually a killer deal, in this market and for what they were going for just 6-10 months ago - if you have the money

Hell, 1-2 years ago you could only get them via custom builds, over $100k. Factory warranty, I'd been all over one if I hadn't sold mine and bought a cabin

I'm in love w/ my diesel tho, not sure I'd go back to a Hemi now that I get the power AND 20+ mpg

Never say never tho

Guy down the road drives a 392 JL and his wife has a Rubicon JL...funny, no way I'd have both same vehicles, but some people just want what they want

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote