Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Default Diesel motor option for the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited $6K

https://autoweek.com/article/car-new...ams-extra-6000

Quote:
The long-awaited diesel motor option for the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited may finally be here. JL Wrangler Forums reports that, after a few false starts, the engine is now available for order on 2020 model year Wranglers.

The long-awaited diesel motor option for the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited may finally be here. JL Wrangler Forums reports that, after a few false starts, the engine is now available for order on 2020 model year Wranglers. (We’ve contacted Jeep to confirm and will update you when we have more information.)

We’ve known for a while now that the trucks will get a version of FCA’s 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 coupled with a mandatory (at least for now) 8HP75 eight-speed automatic transmission. Apparently, this can be ordered on any trim level -- of the four-door Wrangler Unlimited, at least. So both row-your-own enthusiasts and prospective two-door buyers appear to be out of luck.

The motor is a $4,000 upgrade, but you have to factor in the $2,000 automatic transmission into the purchase, meaning you’ll be $6,000 into it, all things considered.

Start off with a Rubicon and tick a few option boxes and you can easily wind up in the neighborhood of a $60,000 Wrangler -- one JL Wrangler Forums member uploaded a screenshot of a $59,490 example. Dang! On the other hand, Wrangler Unlimiteds start at under $34,000, so you can be in a diesel-powered one for under $40,000.

This EcoDiesel is essentially the same engine that can be had on the 2020 Ram 1500; you can read our thoughts on the motor in that application in our first drive review. In the Jeep, it makes 442 lb-ft of torque and 260 hp -- a good bit less torque-wise than the 480 lb-ft in the Ram, though horsepower is equivalent. We don't know how much it will tow or what the fuel economy figures will be just yet.

Speaking of pickups, we’ve known that the Jeep Gladiator is going to get the EcoDiesel since the truck launched; if it can now be ordered for the Wrangler, we assume that diesel-equipped Gladiators are just around the corner, as well.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
Cobound
- The Don -

Meh, nice for all you diesel homers, but I've never been one. More money up front, more money at maintenance time, more money at the pump. Mo Money!

To each his own...I am excited to see them running the roads and trails, but not w/ me behind the wheel. I'd have to see them out for a while, drive one around a considerable bit, before I were to make that leap.

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

I don't think the gains are there for the wrangler in terms of cost / benefit. As Cobound eluded to...you'll be spending more up front, more for maintenance (looks like the cheapest oil filter I can find is around $17), and more for fuel, and I doubt you'll get that back in fuel efficiency gains (99% sure you won't ever get there unless fuel prices really skyrocket).

That, all on top of the fact that it is an EcoDiesel, which hasn't been the most reliable diesel engine to come to the market

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote