Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Tow Rig Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2023, 10:19 PM   #21
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Oh, I’m good.
My advice: regear that fukker ASAP. The low end torque of that diesel is a great crutch, but it's still a crutch. Same with the 8spd. Both are super capable and super forgiving. I'm sure it's perfectly competent at everything now but I'd bet the cost of a gear install that the first time you drive it after the swap you'll be saying "Jesus Christ why didn't I do this 2 years ago?!?!"

For an EcoDiesel I'd go 4.56 all day. That's what we put in pretty much all the 37" tire rigs we build, including my wife's 3.6. It's completely fine around town just like they are even with stock gears, but it shifts entirely too much for my liking on the highway. Often it'll just grab 7th and hold it, big hills it'll drop to 6th. Granted it's a high revving V6 powered cinder block going down the road on 37" tires but still, I'd like it to be better at holding real overdrive.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:21 AM   #22
Cobound
- The Don -

Good advice, buddy just tossed in 4.56 in his, no feedback on his yet.

It'd probably be a better long term wear and tear as well.

I'll have to look into it...just passed 34k on it, drivetrain and extended warranty are 150k.

Thanks!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:14 AM   #23
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

we never got the order placed for the Tahoe ... was 6-8wks while shopping, 8-12wks when we tried to place the order, and 12-16wks a month later after allocations still hadn't allowed our order to be entered. canceled.

thank god too, i'm super glad i never bought into new diesels. if i had, when i came to my senses, i would have dumped it while the prices were crazy high. still great engines for those who need it, but the EPA BS doesn't makes it worth it for me over gas. that was their plan after all. while shopping, the diesel Jeeps were by far the best to drive, same with the 1500 chevy's. they also have the most potential to be way better. i'd just have to have some way to fully tune/delete the truck though.

since then i keep hearing more bad stuff about the Eco and ppl dropping their vehicles. isn't Jeep dropping it from some lines now? only stuff i've heard on the mini d-max was that these 1500 trucks are getting CRAZY mpg, even while towing.

we ended up buying a 2018 Hemi Limited WK2 for less than half the price of the 'hoe. faster, louder, fits in the wife's city parking better, just as comfy. however, we fawking hate it. endless sting of nuisance issues/quirks, and zero character. even with the 2" lift, E-rated bigger ATs, and a Stainless Works cat-back. it sounds amazing, looks pretty decent, but still rides super vague. maybe we are just jaded by the 'vette and TJ.

for a new truck, i'd get a 2500 RAM tradesman Reg Cab long bed, cheaper with no chrome. biggest gears possible, LSD, upgraded tunes, trailering bits, and send it. 6.4 standard, the reg cab is big enough that with the seat all the way back i can't get full pedal travel, and by far the best value function vs cost.

on the other hand though, the best actual truck might be a 2500 tradesman power wagon with a few creature comforts added. then throw a blower on it. all the 2500 goodness, power wagon goodness, and enough HP to make it faster than a TRX ... while being cheaper than a TRX. win/win/win/win

Last edited by 6DoF; 01-31-2023 at 08:17 AM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:17 AM   #24
Cobound
- The Don -

Ah, damn...have a buddy w/ the same Grand and NOTHING but issues...they finally ditched it. Bummer you had that same deal.

While I love the JT and the diesel, if I could justify a big rig I'd be all over a Ram Prospector or the like...but I already have a hard enough time fitting into the city w/ my JT, and don't need a large vehicle for anything except an occasional long trip towing the enclosed, which I just got...so I'm "making due." Spending that coin on other items, like the cabin and such. Gotta sell one of the SXS to get a pontoon now - FWP

You guys and your reg cab long bed stuff - I could never...and that is why they have options

I wondered why I never heard about the 'Hoe...now I know!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:41 AM   #25
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Yep, EcoDiesel is going away after 2023. Not sure how long the mini-max will last.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:27 AM   #26
6DoF

as the EV BS starts to die down, i feel like the small diesel will make a comeback. that's why they still launched the mini-max.

biodiesel is easier to make with higher yield than ethanol. better MPG, etc.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:03 PM   #27
xj_man_646

The problem is that it is such a pain in the a$$ to bring to market, that it is almost not worth it in a lot of cases. I'll be curious to see how the mini-max sales do in the long-ish term; the diesel Cruze was killed off in 5 short model years.

Large displacement NA V8s are returning to the truck segment because diesel is so costly in ownership.

Hyundai and Mazda were both slated to bring small diesel SUVs to the but the effort to certify meant they eventually killed them off shortly after I left Bosch.

I do not have high hopes (long term) for diesel in the light duty segment.

I like diesels
Old 02-01-2023, 07:21 AM   #28
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
The problem is that it is such a pain in the a$$ to bring to market, that it is almost not worth it in a lot of cases. I'll be curious to see how the mini-max sales do in the long-ish term; the diesel Cruze was killed off in 5 short model years.

Large displacement NA V8s are returning to the truck segment because diesel is so costly in ownership.

Hyundai and Mazda were both slated to bring small diesel SUVs to the but the effort to certify meant they eventually killed them off shortly after I left Bosch.

I do not have high hopes (long term) for diesel in the light duty segment.
under the current mafia.gov direction, agreed, they have no chance. i feel like they'll be re-evaluated when it becomes politically convenient.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:35 PM   #29
6DoF

EV is probably easier to road trip than a propane/CNG rig though ...

but WMO makes a great local fuel subsidy

Last edited by 6DoF; 02-01-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:39 PM   #30
xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
under the current mafia.gov direction, agreed, they have no chance. i feel like they'll be re-evaluated when it becomes politically convenient.
Its not even the .gov that is the issue, it's largely driven by CARB since certifying for two markets in the same country doesn't make sense. What will happen when the CARB market is no longer allowed to buy new ICE-powered vehicles, but the rest of the states are? No idea...my guess is we will default to the EPA regulations, which are pretty similar to CARB, CARB just goes a bit above and beyond.

EPA is more involved with the enforcement of those doing the dirty deletes.

I like diesels
Old 02-01-2023, 04:41 PM   #31
xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post

but WMO makes a great local fuel subsidy
Don't do that with a new diesel unless you want to destroy your aftertreatment system (and probably fuel system) and not have it covered under warranty

I like diesels
Old 02-02-2023, 07:02 AM   #32
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Don't do that with a new diesel unless you want to destroy your aftertreatment system (and probably fuel system) and not have it covered under warranty
a buddy who works at Cummins as an applications engineer said the only difference between their full emissions highway engine ... and the military "run anything you can pour in the tank" is the after treatment. i guess you can delete new stuff and still run oil.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:36 PM   #33
xj_man_646

Yeah military stuff is a whole new animal. They don't get any of the glorious air cleaning aftertreatment that we do. I wasn't sure if they need a different fuel system or not...surprising that they don't.

I like diesels
Old 02-02-2023, 02:20 PM   #34
6DoF

i don't know, under those pressures i can't imagine the slight viscosity change making that much difference. keep the fuel filter in good shape n go. but hydraulic fluid and oil that's been continuously pumped thru a filter is probably cleaner than what comes out of a station pump really.

but the after treatment junk can just piss off
Old 02-02-2023, 03:50 PM   #35
xj_man_646

The .gov mainly uses jet fuel and diesel. I know for sure today isn't like the old multifuel days where you truly could run on almost any petroleum product. Who knows, doesn't matter...the current military stuff won't be available to the public for a long time, if ever .

I like diesels