Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2023, 05:52 PM   #101
Lubes
alcoholic little wombat

1)Get a second 6V battery, wire both in series to winch and both in parallel to alternator?
2)Keep the old truck, damnit!
Lubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:09 PM   #102
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:18 AM   #103
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

no story? what's the plan!?!
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 07:39 AM   #104
Cobound
- The Don -

So much potential!

Details?

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 09:33 AM   #105
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

What you guys want words?

Just slowly plugging away on the Waggy. The front clip hasnt been on it about 7 years, so that felt good. I needed to put it on so I could wire the front lights and mount a fan, battery etc. Trying to get the wiring harness finished up, so I can pull it out and wrap it all up. Fuel system is close to done, power steering system is done.

Hooked a battery up to the internal fuse box and the rear window rolls down (huge win in the FSJ world) and all the windows work. Eventually I will probably add relays to all the windows so they have some speed to them. Jeep oe design (and every 80's OEM it seems) of running through the switch isnt the best.

Biggest thing that has been holding me up is the front suspension. Which I need to get done so I can do the exhaust and finalize the o2 sensor wiring. I have leaf mounts tacked in. It had 2" rec tube welded under the oe mounts for a lift (damn previous owners ) But last weekend I pulled the axle back out and I really want to 3 link it I think. Trying to find some JK take offs to see if I can use a lot of oe links and track bar. Build some brackets. I am also kicking around the idea of putting the front on airbags. Dave from the dirt head shed has me wanting to try it.
Old 10-16-2023, 06:44 AM   #106
6DoF

"don't get it right, just get it running" ... i say get it on the road and save the front suspension upgrade for a winter project later.

on the other hand, ya might end up with a 4x2 TJ for 15yrs
Old 10-16-2023, 07:41 AM   #107
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

I can turn the key and it starts

I don’t want to have to redo the exhaust, and there is much less room for it at stock height vs my soa truck.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:31 PM   #108
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Put a motor in Lubes WJ.

Number 5 piston skirt was laying in the pan.

Long block from titan engines

Taking the old one out

Cobound

The carnage

Old 11-28-2023, 09:51 AM   #109
Cobound
- The Don -

Nice coozie

Damn that dude has gone through some engines...perhaps the first one that met it's natural demise tho

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 11-29-2023, 03:34 PM   #110
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

269k miles on this one so it had a good run. Lubes is the drivetrain killer while we were waiting in this engine, his TJ ate a transmission at trail hero…
Old 11-30-2023, 11:52 AM   #111
Cobound
- The Don -

His "TJ"

That beast has eaten more transmissions and engines than most of us have had vehicles

Old 12-07-2023, 06:56 PM   #112
Lubes
alcoholic little wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
His "TJ"

That beast has eaten more transmissions and engines than most of us have had vehicles
Kong is only on engine 7! And transmission number... uh, 8 maybe? Hard to tell since I had a few rebuilt since it was out anyway and I'd rather stay on top of them than have it fail on a trail! Ya know, like this last one did...
Old 01-06-2024, 10:21 AM   #113
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

I really should be working on my Waggy but I decide to do things like this instead.

https://i.imgur.com/9n1RXW4.mp4

Taking this thing for a bath

I knew this was a later motor (50s) but got all the junk washed off and found is been rebuilt. Bored 60 over. Motor has always run great besides a vapor lock here or there

Here is how I ended last weekend

What are my plans you ask? Well... this thing has always had about an inch thick coating of dirt and grease on every surface since I have got it. the passenger front frame rail is packed with dirt still. I love this thing and beat on it, so I want to do some upgrades and cleaning up to help myself and daughter enjoy it. I have been struggling with keeping it as OG as possible and building it a little bit so we can better enjoy it on the trails. Obviously I have already added lockers and swapped in a narrow trac dana 30 and saginaw steering. So cat was already out of the bag. Things I never want to change. This will never have bigger than 7.5-16 tires, have stock suspension, will always have the L134 go devil.

My plans this go around.
-Clean up and paint the frame drive train.
I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the rest of the frame. After the first year problems of breaking the front crossmember and having to straighten and weld back together the front of the frame, the rest looks solid. Paint the motor and rebuild the trans.

-Converting to 12 volt
I went back and forth on this, I liked the 6 volt just because it was old and stock. Sucked if the battery went dead. Another problem is I have a 8274 winch for it, also the wiring besides the headlight wiring was all super hacked up. I am going to get a universal 8 circuit wiring harness for it and rewire the whole jeep (lights and an ignition system, gauges ) Going to run a 10si alternator and rebuild the stock starter (needs it anyway, Billings 8 hour winch fest last EJS because of the starter)

-Thinking about putting swing pedal in it.
Make getting to the master cylinder much easier, want to convert to a dual pot master cylinder so if I break a brake line I dont lose the whole system. I also am thinking about a cable or hydraulic clutch. The swing clutch mounted on the frame is a bummer in the rocks sometime as well since you lose the clutch function. I am still on the fence about the swing pedals

-Fix the tub floor rust.
Not looking to restore the tub by any means, but would like to put new floors in it. I had 2 of 8 body mount bolts holding the tub on all the others are rusted out or broken. I would also like to fix all the holes and stuff in the fire wall.

All in all just want to clean it up a bit and have it be something we can enjoy on the weekends without losing the feel of vintage wheeler. More to come.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:10 AM   #114
6DoF

i'm 100% down with your plan! keep the character and what makes wheelin the old junk fun, but ditch the annoying bits.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:39 PM   #115
Cobound
- The Don -

You already know I love that thing, sounds like a damn good plan.

Now, if I make it to EJS I'll still have a seat for you and Reagan if there are any problems

Old 01-08-2024, 04:15 PM   #116
Lubes
alcoholic little wombat

Quote:
Now, if I make it to EJS I'll still have a seat for you and Reagan if there are any problems
Orrrrrrrrr you drive a little further this year for Easter and check out Sand Hollow...
Old 01-08-2024, 04:20 PM   #117
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Quote:

Reagan hasn
Old 01-08-2024, 04:30 PM   #118
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Quote:

Reagan hasn’t stopped talking about the sxs since Moab. I’ll admit I was briefly looking at them a few weeks ago
Old 01-08-2024, 04:32 PM   #119
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubes View Post
Orrrrrrrrr you drive a little further this year for Easter and check out Sand Hollow...
Are you sand hollowing for Easter?
Old 01-08-2024, 11:51 PM   #120
Cobound
- The Don -