Dennis
Semper Fi !

Default Mopar Gorilla Glass for your JK

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/pa...lla-glass.html
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

that's interesting ... i've not had an issue, but i can see that selling.

it's also crazy that MOPAR is going after the aftermarket so hard again, they are really trying to put the small shops that mainly do the bolt-on's, out of business.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Dennis
Semper Fi !

I go through windshields faster than tires. JK is slightly better than the YJ was, but still pretty bad.

I assume the dealers want to be able to upsell easily with a warranty that directly matches the new car and the financing.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
that's interesting ... i've not had an issue, but i can see that selling.

it's also crazy that MOPAR is going after the aftermarket so hard again, they are really trying to put the small shops that mainly do the bolt-on's, out of business.
This would be good for those with the pockets that are on rock chip states. Arizona and colorado have the highest rates of windshield replacements.

I need to get windshields in both the KJ and XJ, the KJs is like 2 years old.

Its not uncommon to see 1-3 year old windshields that need to be replaced already.

Though I wonder at the extra cost what the payback is, and if you shop around you can get windshields installed for $100-150.
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

I put a windshield in every year basically. Helps to know a glass guy. The j10 (if it ever runs again) is pitted pretty bad. It's got an old emissions sticker it in so it's way old.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
I put a windshield in every year basically. Helps to know a glass guy. The j10 (if it ever runs again) is pitted pretty bad. It's got an old emissions sticker it in so it's way old.
I've got a class guy up here, Jerry, but the dude is kinda flakey, need to find another hookup.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

in MI the YJ was annual i guess ... but PA it's only been one
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
Cobound
- The Don -

Yep, saw that in Moab this year at the Jeep booth...great idea! It has a premium ($170 more than standard, I'm told), but has a 2 year warranty, it's lighter, and rocks bounce off it like rubber balls

They even have the Jeep climb in the corner, and the Gorilla Glass has a gorilla in the other corner. Looks like a solid product. And, yes, MOPAR is going after the aftermarket crowd hard. However, their prices are absurd...and not always as good of quality as some aftermarket you'll find. My .02

I've replaced glass in both of our first two JKs, so far so good w/ the current one. I have glass replacement coverage on my vehicles tho, so it's covered when it's replaced, probably the best thing about living in MN related to my vehicles!!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Yep, saw that in Moab this year at the Jeep booth...great idea! It has a premium ($170 more than standard, I'm told), but has a 2 year warranty, it's lighter, and rocks bounce off it like rubber balls

They even have the Jeep climb in the corner, and the Gorilla Glass has a gorilla in the other corner. Looks like a solid product. And, yes, MOPAR is going after the aftermarket crowd hard. However, their prices are absurd...and not always as good of quality as some aftermarket you'll find. My .02

I've replaced glass in both of our first two JKs, so far so good w/ the current one. I have glass replacement coverage on my vehicles tho, so it's covered when it's replaced, probably the best thing about living in MN related to my vehicles!!

They should have had the gorilla driving the Jeep in the corner! I'll see what the installed price is next time I need a new one. Probably next summer based on odds/regular replacement rate.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #10
myjeepsbigger
~ Jitterbug ~

I have gorilla glass on my phone. I've destroyed it. I'm guessing the windshield wouldn't last me much longer than a normal one.

+1 for 100% glass coverage on the insurance!
myjeepsbigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:07 AM   #11
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeepsbigger View Post
No doubt. I've had 2 windshield replacements on my truck since I opted for the coverage. Saved me at least a few hundred dollars right there.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
I have gorilla glass on my phone. I've destroyed it. I'm guessing the windshield wouldn't last me much longer than a normal one.

Right, all our vehicles are covered by this

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 05-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Quote:

You are thinking about it the wrong way, what if you had a plexiglass phone "glass"? Think about how poorly that would hold up, same if you had a plexiglass windshield.

Sure the gorilla glass isn't indestructible, but rock pits and scratches will be less of an issue with it.

Gorilla glass isn't used for phones because its supposed to be indestructible, its used because it is harder and less prone to scratching from things like keys in your pocket. Same concept applies to all the crap that gets flung at your window.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #14
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Next time a I need a windshield, probably next Summer, I am going to give one a try. But like I said, it would be more fun if they had a Gorilla driving the shadow Jeep up the edge.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sam View Post
You are thinking about it the wrong way, what if you had a plexiglass phone "glass"? Think about how poorly that would hold up, same if you had a plexiglass windshield.

Sure the gorilla glass isn't indestructible, but rock pits and scratches will be less of an issue with it.

Gorilla glass isn't used for phones because its supposed to be indestructible, its used because it is harder and less prone to scratching from things like keys in your pocket. Same concept applies to all the crap that gets flung at your window.
Yep, that's kinda how it was explained to me in Moab. You could see what a chip did to reg glass vs Gorilla, and the reg glass would eventually crack where as the Gorilla was just the small mark.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #16
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Yep, that's kinda how it was explained to me in Moab. You could see what a chip did to reg glass vs Gorilla, and the reg glass would eventually crack where as the Gorilla was just the small mark.
Yup, and just like dropping a phone, glass down, 5 feet onto concrete dropping a JK, glass down, 5 foot onto concrete will also crack the windshield.