Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #21
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Something similar happened with John Deere recently related to allowing owners to repair their own equipment without going through a dealership IIRC.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #22
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
they are particularly the worst from what i've been told. was talking to my mechanic over break and i didn't realize there were "right to repair" laws. basically some states had to sue em to get access to the PCM to perform some repairs. that is bonkers.
Right to repair is for sure a thing. A local shop owner here, that does training classes and stuff is on the board (spacing the name of the group) that fights for all that stuff. Basically all manufactures have to provide a way to program cars. Some are easy like gm with a 40ish dollar fee for 2 days of service on their website but some like bmw you have to buy a 1000 dollar yearly subscription (which isnt cost effective if you dont do a lot of bmw programming).

But some modules cant be reprogrammed after they have had a vin written into them, so cant buy used and manufacturers arent going to always keep making new ones.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote