Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk

Old 12-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #41
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue XJ View Post
Is the entire hose covered, or just the half that is on the water pump side? They do anything they can to avoid paying.
Didn't need a hose, so don't know. I figure if it had to be replaced with a bad pump they cover it. If it had to be replaced with a bad radiator, they wouldn't.
Dennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #42
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
That's absolute BS!
Total BS. Absolutely no signs of abuse or external stress. Just a badly built example. The Xj was built solid the final week of XJ production with the pride of finishing up the run, but the JK has all the signs of being built the last weeks before Summer break for the new model year turn over.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #43
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i'll give Fiat some credit here, i think they did good as long as the quality is there and parts don't just bend/break. they have literally accounted for everything that basically 98% of ppl who buy em want to do. they have also slashed the aftermarket for smalls, so it'll also be interesting to see what they come up with for it.
Yep Mopar hates competition and they've been missing out on a huge market for Jeep stuff for years. I mean they've had stuff available, but nothing to this level. They really stepped it up this time and have lots of good offerings that the competitors(including us) normally offer. We're having to change up our game for sure. It's gonna hurt a lot of smaller aftermarket companies, but the larger more established ones that have already been trying to come up with new, innovative products will hopefully be able to stay ahead of the curve. Mopar is pretty much just catching up to what the aftermarket has been offering for the JK for 5-10 years, so the good aftermarket companies will be able to offer something new and different that Mopar isn't doing yet. All that OEM red tape really bogs them down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Total BS. Absolutely no signs of abuse or external stress. Just a badly built example. The Xj was built solid the final week of XJ production with the pride of finishing up the run, but the JK has all the signs of being built the last weeks before Summer break for the new model year turn over.
Premature radiator failure seems to be a very common problem on the 3.6 JKs. I haven't looked into what the likely cause is, whether it's design flaw or bad manufacturing, but I've read about failures time and again online. I'm a little surprised there's no TSB or recall, but I guess since it's not safety related and is easy for them to point the fingers elsewhere, they managed to dodge that bullet.
bbaCJ8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #44
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
Premature radiator failure seems to be a very common problem on the 3.6 JKs. I haven't looked into what the likely cause is, whether it's design flaw or bad manufacturing, but I've read about failures time and again online. I'm a little surprised there's no TSB or recall, but I guess since it's not safety related and is easy for them to point the fingers elsewhere, they managed to dodge that bullet.
TSB reads: If water is coming out, it's not supposed to. replace with one that doesn't let water out.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #45
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Yep Mopar hates competition and they've been missing out on a huge market for Jeep stuff for years. I mean they've had stuff available, but nothing to this level. They really stepped it up this time and have lots of good offerings that the competitors(including us) normally offer. We're having to change up our game for sure. It's gonna hurt a lot of smaller aftermarket companies, but the larger more established ones that have already been trying to come up with new, innovative products will hopefully be able to stay ahead of the curve. Mopar is pretty much just catching up to what the aftermarket has been offering for the JK for 5-10 years, so the good aftermarket companies will be able to offer something new and different that Mopar isn't doing yet. All that OEM red tape really bogs them down!

I thought that AEV supplied a lot of those Mopar items like the Moab and Rubicon X bumpers and hoods?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #46
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Quote:
TSB reads: If water is coming out, it's not supposed to. replace with one that doesn't let water out.
Kept my receipt, maybe I can get reimbursed if they ever admit to the failings. Doubt it, but a guy can dream, can't he?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #47
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
I thought that AEV supplied a lot of those Mopar items like the Moab and Rubicon X bumpers and hoods?
There are a few, but it's handled in unique ways. AEV is very much a competitor of Mopar and the relationship isn't what most think. From what I gather Mopar often has their hands tied by things like OEM FMVSS(federal motor vehicle safety standards) and aren't able to do all the cool stuff a lot of other aftermarket companies can, so things aren't as simple or friendly as they seem. I always thought otherwise too.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #48
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
There are a few, but it's handled in unique ways. AEV is very much a competitor of Mopar and the relationship isn't what most think. From what I gather Mopar often has their hands tied by things like OEM FMVSS(federal motor vehicle safety standards) and aren't able to do all the cool stuff a lot of other aftermarket companies can, so things aren't as simple or friendly as they seem. I always thought otherwise too.
So, do you have a code for friends to get a discount on AEV rear bumpers? I wish to not give Chrysler any insurance money to replace my rear bumper after getting rear ended last weekend.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #49
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
So, do you have a code for friends to get a discount on AEV rear bumpers? I wish to not give Chrysler any insurance money to replace my rear bumper after getting rear ended last weekend.
I can most likely get you 20% off. If you make any for sure decisions about what you want to do, shoot me a PM and we'll talk details.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #50
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
I can most likely get you 20% off. If you make any for sure decisions about what you want to do, shoot me a PM and we'll talk details.
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #51
Dennis
Semper Fi !

The pickups are on the road testing in SoCal! Maybe available by Summer as a 2019?

Last edited by Dennis; 12-20-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #52
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
The pickups are on the road testing in SoCal! Maybe available by Summer as a 2019?
They've been running around SE Michigan for close to 6 months. Those are still pretty camo'd, but regular JLs have been running around here naked for a couple months now. Passed one on the highway this morning on my way to a supplier.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #53
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Hoping that they will do a shorter bed for the four door. What I have seen has the awkward proportions of the H3T. Understand the greater utility, but figure anyone getting a JL pickup is going for style. Anyone going for utility should just get a cheaper regular pickup.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #54
Cobound
- The Don -

As much good as they've done w/ the JL...I just hope they don't really fuk up the truck!

I've seriously held off pushing for a Brute DC because I wanted a more affordable Jeep truck...but man, I'm a bit nervous it'll not be what I'm hoping it will be.

HOWEVER, I do like all the new JL bits...so who knows. I wait, cuz it'll surely be cheaper than an AEV

I just wanna see the damn thing already

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #55
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

and why are they still in camo? we've seen everything fwd of the fawking bed, we know wtf it is, and i bet the taillights/flares n all that jazz in the back are the same too. fine, don't release it till summer, but why bother with the camo??
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #56
JEEPJERK
Wanna make out?

Quote:
and why are they still in camo? we've seen everything fwd of the fawking bed, we know wtf it is, and i bet the taillights/flares n all that jazz in the back are the same too. fine, don't release it till summer, but why bother with the camo??
south korea
JEEPJERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #57
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Right

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #58
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Quote:
Its possible that the trucks still have heavy camo from early development, and now FCA has reduced the requirements for it, but it hasn't been removed.

That is the story with one of our JL's...it still has full camo even though FCA doesn't require it on them anymore. The vehicle just hasn't gone back to get it removed yet.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #59
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

ACE Engineering already has a JLU that they're working on. They've already got rock sliders and some cowl risers for ditch lights. And it's already sitting on 35s.
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #60
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

Quote:
Hoping that they will do a shorter bed for the four door. What I have seen has the awkward proportions of the H3T. Understand the greater utility, but figure anyone getting a JL pickup is going for style. Anyone going for utility should just get a cheaper regular pickup.
The JT bed should be about the same size as a Tacoma short bed. Any shorter and they'd loose out on truck customers. This is meant to be a real competitor in the mid-size truck market, not another Explorer Sport-Trac.

Proportionally it should be nearly identical to the AEV Brute DC. It's just that nearly all Brute DCs are lifted and sitting on 35s or 37s, so they look much better proportioned.

The big issue for the JT's proprotions is the Wrangler's traditionally long nose. There's a huge amount of space between the front wheels and the front doors compared to something like a Tacoma. This in turn makes the vehicle longer overall. The JT's overall length and wheelbase should be very close to that of the Tacoma 4dr long bed, but the JT will have a short bed on it.
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote