Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Tow Rig Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #1
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Default GMC 2500 brake issue

anyone ever run into this issue before? the brakes work really well,, but the rears only last like 5000 miles. 1 set went quicker than expected, then the last 2 sets have been about 5k. one power stop kit, one EBC kit. something is dragging them because all 4 rear pads wear totally even. fronts have been fine.

i just replaced the master cyl since it was cheaper than the ABS module ... cross your fingers for me that was it.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Have you replaced the calipers yet? For some reason I recall something about the calipers going 'bad' rather quickly on those trucks.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
Cobound
- The Don -

I was going through front pads on my 1500...I just replaced the calipers, thinking that was it. No idea what the 2500 deal is, but hope you get it figured out, 5k, sheesh

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
champ
not cool enough

Silly question, but are you spinning the rear tires a bunch? Traction control will eat through a set of rear brakes quickly.
champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
6DoF

rear calipers were new 5k ago after the first 5k set of pads. rotors n pads went on at the same time. just did them all again, but the calipers were smooth and all pads worn even so i left those.

i just did front calipers as one locked up on me, truck has 175,000 on the clock though so not too shocked there. did new front unit bearings, packed the rear hubs and did new seals, all new e-brake BS, new fluid in the rear ... it was a spendy deal.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
6DoF

i've read online a bunch of ppl complaining about gm trucks going thru rear pads, this seams like a common issue ... but i've never read anywhere someone who fixed it, just questions and speculation.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
Silly question, but are you spinning the rear tires a bunch? Traction control will eat through a set of rear brakes quickly.
truck has no traction control, just ABS. even then though, it's not exactly a tire burner.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #8
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Infrared temp guns are so 2000s. Got to step your game up to a thermal imager.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:54 AM   #9
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
GMT800 trucks had a lot of rear bias. Some of it was fixed on the GMT900. So if you are a person that mostly costs then eases into the brakes the fronts never see any use.

Recently I've seen a lot of 2004-2009 GM vehicles have collapsed/partially blocked brake hoses where the mounting brackets are crimped on. Just saw a G6 that has ate through front brakes like crazy and the idiot mechanics kept replacing rotors, calipers, and pads but it kept happening. Anyway, they stop fine but the fluid doesn't really go back into the master when you release. So the brakes drag a bit until you turn hard a few times to flex it enough to push the piston back in. I've been finding the issues using an infrared temperature reader.
i read something about a rubber hose issue once before, but couldn't see how a hose would hold psi from going back. after driving home ... the issue spot should be hotter?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i read something about a rubber hose issue once before, but couldn't see how a hose would hold psi from going back. after driving home ... the issue spot should be hotter?
I agree and was skeptical the first time I heard it also....but I've seen it fix the issue as have some other very knowledgeable friend. I actually have an issue with rear brakes dragging on my Jeep and that was one of the first things I checked/replaced. In my case it looks to be caliper related though.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Aren't the rubber hoses still steel lined? I'd heard that as they get old they can kink/collapse, with the inner part acting as a one way valve.
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #12
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
Aren't the rubber hoses still steel lined? I'd heard that as they get old they can kink/collapse, with the inner part acting as a one way valve.
Yes there's still steel mesh supporting them. And the one way valve effect would make sense for a kink or broken down inner lining. There's very high pressure forcing fluid to the pistons, but very little forcing it back out.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:07 AM   #13
Blue XJ

Send a message via AIM to Blue XJ

It's not a truck, but our GM vehicle eats through rear pads too, it has 77k miles, I just put the 4th set of pads/rotors on in the back. The fronts are still the original pads, so we aren't hard on the brakes. The outer pad on both sides of the rear was worn to the replacement indicator thing, while the inner ones were still about 50%, same story every time. The calipers slide freely on the brackets, so I'm not sure what would cause it.
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:56 AM   #14
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
I agree and was skeptical the first time I heard it also....but I've seen it fix the issue as have some other very knowledgeable friend.
and with that confirmation, i guess i'm ordering hoses. i just bled the whole thing out last week

i'll assume since it's an issue with the entire back, that it's in the drop line to the axle. but what do you guys think about just replacing ALL soft lines? uuugghh ... i don't have my flaring tool when this goes bad.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:20 AM   #15
Blue XJ

Send a message via AIM to Blue XJ

From what I have heard, it does seem to generally be the drop line to the axle. But, while you're in there and the system is empty, why not replace them all, the cost should be minimal.
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #16
6DoF

once i get these cheapo pad/rotors to live more than a few k, ill go back to trying real compounds.

you sure he doesn't have a hose issue too? i've had great luck with green stuff when all else is working proper.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #17
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue XJ View Post
From what I have heard, it does seem to generally be the drop line to the axle. But, while you're in there and the system is empty, why not replace them all, the cost should be minimal.
agreed ... was $8 each in the back, a whopping $16ea front.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:45 PM   #18
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

I have fixed several dragging brakes with soft lines.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:38 AM   #19
6DoF