Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #41
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Send a message via AIM to freerider15

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeepsbigger View Post
It's has to have the V8 sound, too. Because it's like having a really hot girlfriend with a terrible screechy voice. Yeah, she feels good, you just don't want anyone to hear her.
I guess I'm to the point where loud and obnoxious outside of say...muscle cars and the like...are not up my alley

Some people love to hear their diesel truck and the whoo whistle...me...I'd love to barely be able to hear my 7.3L
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #42
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
Lame. Why try to get more power out of a V6 when you might as well include a couple more cylinders and have real fun? 23lbs of boost on a 4 banger is cool and all but on a Vyaaaaaaayttt is way more cool.
You do realize many modern V6's come stock with more power than an LQ9, right? Nothing about "getting" more needed...

They also do it more efficiently, weigh less, and thus get you better road numbers.

I thought about an LQ9 swap into the buggy for some time, but wouldn't even give it a thought now. For a little more cost, I can get a much better power to weight ratio powerplant in there, that likely may have even more power or close to, an LQ9.

But hey, some people are about V8's like some people are about diesels "12V swap everything!"
Old 08-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #43
Cobound
- The Don -

At EJS last year the engineers said V6s with more power... in cool with that, I just want more power. It the larger engines do that, so...

Tide of us that do tow, haul more weight, we want them. I will say, after taking my rack and tent off I can noticeably feel the power difference, so I’m all about more power, and I’m not taking it to the track.

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #44
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
You do realize many modern V6's come stock with more power than an LQ9, right? Nothing about "getting" more needed...

They also do it more efficiently, weigh less, and thus get you better road numbers.

I thought about an LQ9 swap into the buggy for some time, but wouldn't even give it a thought now. For a little more cost, I can get a much better power to weight ratio powerplant in there, that likely may have even more power or close to, an LQ9.

But hey, some people are about V8's like some people are about diesels "12V swap everything!"
The LQ4 is meant to be the cheap truck motor that makes all it's power just off idle, not be a HP monster. It's ~300hp may be less than a V6 but that same high HP V6 has nowhere near the torque, especially at low RPMs. The LQ9 is just a slightly higher output LQ4, but still is built to move a 6k pound truck with all the torques. Trying to compare it's HP output to a modern V6 is hardly fair.

Jeep already has access to a 300 hp version of the same corporate V6 they put in the Jeep, it's not like they couldn't give it power. But it's the low down torque that would make a more meaningful difference, and it's a lot more effortless with a higher displacement motor. And at that point, the V8 is the easy button to achieve it.

They do have the diesel now, which is a torque monster, but it's also the diesel that even James wouldn't buy.

Now that Jeep has competition from the Bronco, putting a V8 into the Jeep is a quick and easy way to get attention back to the Jeep brand.

Add in, I'm the perfect target audience for Jeep. Mid (ok, bordering late) 30s, no kids, dual income, prior Jeep owner. I should be in the market for a Wrangler. But ever since they dropped the 4.0 I6 I have not been impressed with how they drive, too sluggish with motors you have to wind the piss out of. If they are that bad stock, how bad are they with a set of 35s like they should have? But I won't buy one with the current motor options. I have to wait for someone like Brian to sell his cheap because they pony'd up for the V8 swap already.

Quote:
It's has to have the V8 sound, too. Because it's like having a really hot girlfriend with a terrible screechy voice. Yeah, she feels good, you just don't want anyone to hear her.
There is also this. I'm a man-child and I want V8 noises. A V8 Wrangler would complement my Challenger R/T and Charger Scat Pack well!
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:27 AM   #45
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:42 AM   #46
6DoF

i tell ya what, when area under the curve matters, he's a direct look at it. having driven both, the 4cyl does feel faster/more bite, while the v6 comes off the line better and is generally i found nicer to drive. that said, i'll take my stock LQ4 TJ 13 out of 10 times.

2.0L VS 3.6L (WTQ & WHP)

2.0L - Blue
3.6L - Red

Last edited by 6DoF; 08-12-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:51 AM   #47
6DoF

it's all opinion and driving style vs environment and use. having the "do we need a V8" discussion is like arguing what color is the best. "we have white and grey, what on earth do we need purple for"
Old 08-13-2020, 06:47 AM   #48
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post

What v6 are you swapping in for "a little more cost" that has more power than a lq9? It would have to have forced induction and that hads more than a little cost plus the packaging. I dont think everything needs an ls swap but it power to money spent wise they are hard to beat and are a failry small package for a v8

I was driving a 14 srt grand cherokee yesterday, while it was nice and i could definitely daily drive one, wasnt all that impressed wirh the 6.4
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:52 AM   #49
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
What v6 are you swapping in for "a little more cost" that has more power than a lq9? It would have to have forced induction and that hads more than a little cost plus the packaging. I dont think everything needs an ls swap but it power to money spent wise they are hard to beat and are a failry small package for a v8

I was driving a 14 srt grand cherokee yesterday, while it was nice and i could definitely daily drive one, wasnt all that impressed wirh the 6.4
i've never driven a v8 new grand, but i really dislike my dad's 14 with the 6, it's soft as hell and very very vanilla. more power would make that chassis probably feel worse.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #50
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post

Well, I take that back, not "more" power per say, but about the same and thus giving it a better power/weight ratio.

The LFX is the one that many guys have been gravitating towards. About the same-ish cost as an LQ9 itself. Yes, more work since the LQ4/LQ9 and family are the SB350 of yesteryear, and have lots of support.

Numbers on it are ~323HP/278ft-lb. at least in the Camaro version. (Yes torque is a chunk lower).

Tuning and some playing around (like any modern engine) can bump those numbers.

I agree it's hard to beat the LQ engines in terms of cost to performance, but I'm not sure I'd lean in their direction for anything I'd be rolling on, unless maybe I got one cheap for a Willys project (but I'd still likely just find a cheap 5.3L).

Last edited by freerider15; 08-14-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:01 AM   #51
Dennis
Semper Fi !

https://jalopnik.com/jeep-keeps-teas...lit-1844805362
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #52
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Between the just announced TRX (drool), the "concept" 392 Wrangler (conceptual drool), and now this Wagoneer seeming to be way more then just an extended Grand Cherokee (luxurious drool), FCA is on a real roll.
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #53
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

I am so tired of the new wagoneer news. I just want to talk about fsj in my fsj groups but that is all thats on there lately. :rant:
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #54
6DoF

i had not seen a waggy yet!

quick search says a 1500 full-size SUV?!?! another yes plz!
Old 08-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #55
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Oh, absolutely...what I’m saying is, it’ll be priced at SRT8 prices, or brought down to the Ram and diesel prices...it’s doable, just think it won’t happen.

I mean, a loaded JT Rubi is $60k, but that engine is more affordable than the aftermarket makes it seem.

Fine line... but they would COMPLETELY CANNIBALIZE their 1500 market!!

Just funny see it happening... other than being able to get more for a JT than a Ram

I’m in line!!
If it happens it will absolutely 100% be priced like an SRT and sold in limited numbers and it will have almost zero impact on their light truck market. No insider information here, just government mandates. They need to meet fleet CAFE requirements, and they can likely barely do that as-is. As much as people hate stuff like the Renegade, Compass, Cherokee, etc, those econoboxes selling in high numbers are what allow Wranglers to stay real Jeeps. They bring the average up. Add a big fuel-sucking V8 to the mix and down goes the average for MPG and up it goes for emissions. By limiting sales they can keep meeting the standards while creating a "special edition" mentality that they can charge more for while selling less of them.

I seriously doubt they'd be running the truck 6.4 in these either, I'd expect a detuned SRT variant made for go-fast fun. So no real risk to the light truck market. Think Mojave, not Max Tow. The Pentastar and 8 speed combo can already support every ounce of towing and payload that the chassis can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
RIGHT!!! After so many years of hearing "it won't happen" over and over again....man, I'm skeptical.

Honestly, it's GOT to put a damper on some of these companies already installing them...people on the fence are straight up halting their plans. Gonna have to wait and see...as much as I want one I won't be doing another swap, I'll take a factory one and pay for it.

Kinda curious how much AEV may know (HEY, Sean!) about it...I mean, they not only stopped installing the Hemis (at least I think), they stopped building the BDC prior to the JT coming out...makes ya wonder!

Dammit...I want to know what they'll cost. You KNOW they won't be cheap...and MF be too expensive for me

Have a buddy that just bought one with a 5.7 from Dakota Customs...Sting Grey, too, man...so jeally. Hasn't been delivered yet but he already has parts sitting in his garage to start the build
FCA has been trying to do a V8 for years, just like they were trying to do a Brute knockoff for years. It's been on-again, off-again since before the JL even launched. It's entirely possible that they'll do it, especially now that the Bronco has lit a much-needed fire under their collective assses.

V8 swaps were much more realistic with the early JK. The 3.8L was a turd, the auto was meh, and boosting it was a ticking time bomb. The 3.6L was a drastic improvement, and now with the 8 speed there's zero practical reason for a V8 swap in a JL or JT. Cool factor and better audio for sure, but neither of those are practical reasons. The factory powertrain options are capable above and beyond the rest of the vehicle platform. Add in the electrical nightmare involved in making it work on a new vehicle along with the decently high likelihood that an OEM offering will severely undercut your aftermarket offering and it's hard to make a business case for most companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
Between the just announced TRX (drool), the "concept" 392 Wrangler (conceptual drool), and now this Wagoneer seeming to be way more then just an extended Grand Cherokee (luxurious drool), FCA is on a real roll.
The TRX is awesome. It's hilarious watching the Raptor fanboys try to pick it apart without having a clue what tricks it's still hiding. "2.5s are way too small for a truck that size. Fox 3.0s for life, brah." Yeah ok, Kyle. Your Fox 3.0s are a 2.5" body shock inside a 3.0" fluid bypass reservoir. The active damping Bilsteins on the TRX are unbelievable. I've worked pretty closely with their tuner, who's done some of the baddest suspension tuning on the planet, including most of AEV's. He said they straight up defy physics. It's got different modes at the flip of a switch, it can sense when the vehicle is in the air and instantaneously switch for landing, and the damping range is unreal. I saw the damping curves overlaid with some other more traditional 2.5" shocks and it's mindblowing what those things can do. Gonna be a game changer. Mix it with over 700hp and the bar just got raised way up. I don't have any info on it that isn't already available out there, most people just don't know where to look, don't know what they're looking at, or would rather bash the competition than educate themselves on what they're up against.

Last edited by bbaCJ8; 08-25-2020 at 08:48 AM.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #56
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i had not seen a waggy yet!

quick search says a 1500 full-size SUV?!?! another yes plz!
From the spy photos, even covered, it's going to look along the lines of every other SUV out there. Plan on lines that are similar to Kia, Toyota, Nissan, etc.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #57
myjeepsbigger
~ Jitterbug ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post

The TRX is awesome. It's hilarious watching the Raptor fanboys try to pick it apart without having a clue what tricks it's still hiding. "2.5s are way too small for a truck that size. Fox 3.0s for life, brah." Yeah ok, Kyle. Your Fox 3.0s are a 2.5" body shock inside a 3.0" fluid bypass reservoir. The active damping Bilsteins on the TRX are unbelievable. I've worked pretty closely with their tuner, who's done some of the baddest suspension tuning on the planet, including most of AEV's. He said they straight up defy physics. It's got different modes at the flip of a switch, it can sense when the vehicle is in the air and instantaneously switch for landing, and the damping range is unreal. I saw the damping curves overlaid with some other more traditional 2.5" shocks and it's mindblowing what those things can do. Gonna be a game changer. Mix it with over 700hp and the bar just got raised way up. I don't have any info on it that isn't already available out there, most people just don't know where to look, don't know what they're looking at, or would rather bash the competition than educate themselves on what they're up against.
I wonder when they're going to filter that tech down to the aftermarket. Here, I was all excited to have 2.5 Kings on the Willys Wagon, and now they've got me feeling like a 1980's neon-colored S10 owner (no offense, JJ ).
myjeepsbigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #58
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
I wonder when they're going to filter that tech down to the aftermarket. Here, I was all excited to have 2.5 Kings on the Willys Wagon, and now they've got me feeling like a 1980's neon-colored S10 owner (no offense, JJ ).
99% of the aftermarket couldn't properly tune static bypass shocks(which inherently suck for street use anyway), let alone be able to properly manage active damping. Would be pretty sweet to be able to tune your suspension via laptop though

If you haven't bought already, check out Bilstein 60mm with Zone Control. They're a bit taller so packaging can be tricky, and applications are pretty limited, but it's a sweet setup. The benefit of big steps in damping ranges like a bypass, without the inherent super squishy middle zone before you get into the broad travel ranges. https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/blog/...mping-control/

Where Fox is by far the most overrated aftermarket shock company out there, Bilstein is easily the most underrated in the US.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #59
Cobound
- The Don -

This page is just a bunch of boner material

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #60
6DoF

now i want a TRX ... like ... bad