Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #41
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofmann View Post
I’d like to get out soon and do a little shake down next weekend or something.
Let me know man.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #42
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
I just looked up those big bell rcvs. Crazy what they have out there now. Far cry from when 35 spline chromoly shafts were the toughest thing out there.

I dont really buy into the trend of everything having to have 47 spline shaft dana 80s. For some people absolutely, but its a select few. All these jks rolling round on dana 80s and 40s. Some say you cant over build I guess, but I think you can definitely over spend. This even extends to local trail report facebook pages. Trails people have been running for years in stock vehicles, probably 70% of people on those pages will claim you need full armor and probably 35 inch ties. Scraping a skid plate means you need more lift and bigger tires. Rant over.
I know...aren't they insane? I tend to agree with you regarding over building and such. That being said a JK with the D60 / D80 combo that Cobound has is pretty sweet. But I also enjoy thinking about the quote from one of the guys who used to be on here...Richard I think was his name...the guy with the internal defibrillator and pace maker but continued to weld and fab. I met him at Rausch once. "You're not done upgrading until the crankshaft is your weak link" .

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #43
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

There is something to say about just being able to go out and beat the **** out of something and know its not going to break.

Saw a superduty 60 for 575 this morning local to me.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:16 AM   #44
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

a lot also comes down to what is your goal for the rig ... if reliability is the goal, the "don't break this cuz you have to drive it home" crowd, then over building is a way of life. if you can trailer it home there's a lot to be said for smaller, lighter parts with more clearance! took me over 15 years to get tired of the occasional 1/2ton breakage. and to be honest, most of that could have been avoided with new tires that required less "send"

also depends on rig weight way more than i think ppl give credit for. a stripped down zuki vs an over-landing JKU is a MASIVE difference if both want to run 37s. you are literally talking upwards of 3x weight. forget bouncing up stuff and driving like a dick, just heaving the JKU up a small step very controlled is already more stress than full zuki send.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:05 AM   #45
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Man I way overbuilt mine with the HP D30 and 8.25 rear, but it’s nice to know it’s reliable for trails like black bear, poison spider, and holy cross.
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:19 AM   #46
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sam View Post
Man I way overbuilt mine with the HP D30 and 8.25 rear, but it’s nice to know it’s reliable for trails like black bear, poison spider, and holy cross.
after now building a few 9", i'm 100% sold on em for the rear. from a factory axle that's cheap for the strength with lots of options, to the full float that both my TJ and YJ run. that's my choice for every build mild to wild.

for the front there are tons of options all over the map depending on build and use.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote