Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #41
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
since the jeep already had hvac with the evap in the dash, i just needed to get it hooked up under the hood.

so here's what i'm doing. i called Cold Hose (https://coldhose.com/) and talked to them. the woman who answered the phone like a secretary really knew her sh!t and helped me sort it out. i am using the stock condenser, a 97-98 accumulator (has different connections that are easier/cheaper to adapt to than 99+), stock orifice tube, the stock GM truck compressor on the LQ4 (down low, i cut the pass upper control arm mount off the axle for a stock 3-link), and the rest will be custom. coldhose has the hose ends and hose i need, along with the pressure switches.

bought the AC hose crimping tool since i'll need to do the '55 as well at least, and i plan to buy a full charge kit with vac pump.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and while this isn't quite scientific, it gets the basic idea across for wiring
I used coldhose for my parts as well, carquest also carries some AC type parts if you are in a bind and need a local source for some.

My hose crimper is a little different, its not hydraulic, and it works well for these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #42
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

So i got the new radio mounted and its better than expected! The sound is amazing, noticably better with no other changes. With the spare space i plan to mount the 2 seat heater switches, and a digital air pressur gauge.

Had to trim a little inside the dash, but nothing it'll miss. The sub amp was already in place of the air bag.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #43
jeepkid05
pee pee pants

Send a message via AIM to jeepkid05

I dig the Dewalt shift knob. Nice touch. Do you still have a hook up there?
jeepkid05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:30 AM   #44
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid05 View Post
I dig the Dewalt shift knob. Nice touch. Do you still have a hook up there?
i get more comments about my knob

i kinda do, kinda
Old 06-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #45
6DoF

Melinda, my wife, just described sitting on the sub woofer under the passenger seat of the TJ as feeling like "you have that explosive diarrhea right there"

Old 05-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #46
6DoF

Update 1: This radio sounds amazing, and generally the idea is great. The execution however BLOWS and it's going in the trash where it belongs. Maybe into the ski boat where I don't need to user it as much.

Update 2: I got the rear air bumps on! It's TIGHT in there, but all fits. Time for a test drive.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #47
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Now need jump videos.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #48
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
Now need jump videos.
To bad the entire front end is still "stock"

It's coming, one day ... I will drive off a loading dock at speed
Old 10-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #49
6DoF

the crap radio is finally out! thing was soooo bad, the company was soooo bad ... so i followed Sam with the Android radio. so far i love it, i serve a hotspot from my phone. but depending on how it starts, sometimes the audio is mute until you close everything and re-start the music app.

i had been fighting some thermal issues and have been changing things up and adding things. turns out the winch creates a HUGE low pressure at the radiator on the highway. so that sucks and i need to french it down into the frame. however i've done a lot to help with reducing air recirculation, add an oil cooler, hood louvers, etc. sorry for the crappy oil cooler pic, i used the factory hard lines up to the front of the motor, cut them off for compression fittings, and screwed a 12" can style cooler under the radiator.

i also then built a new CAI and it's proven amazing. engine temps are down again just from it, throttle response is up, it even winds out at the top end better. this also means i was able to use more fuel on the highway and my MPG went down

Old 09-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #50
6DoF

small update i guess, junk i've been working on this season.

new thermostat and water pump. seams like the water pump might have made a big difference in cooling, no clue what could have been wrong with the other. don't ever buy a motorad thermostat cuz this 180 is actually a 195, same as the reviews.

wouldn't ever buy an android based radio again, the next will be a wireless android auto with a general interface. thinking Kenwood for the XJ.

waxed a 2nd set of 5.13's in the rear axle ... 2 different installers and i trust both, very deliberate break-in this last time. general consensus is either that the supertech 80/90 isn't up to the task of 80mph with that pinion speed, or the case is somehow machined off a bit. i set up a used set of 3.55's and could see the old really good contact, there was NO way i could get anywhere near it in my case so i'm leaning to weird case machining. these really make a lot of noise after a LOT of set-up work.

switching back to 3.55's is WAY better than the 5.13s (on the street)!! with the 3.55's i drive it like a 4spd with a useless OD, with the 5.13s i drive it like a 4spd with a useless crawler gear. but worst case if i throw a 4:1 in the d300 my crawl still works out fine. with 5.13s in actual 1st you redline before even getting past the start line, it's USELESS short on the street.

using the low first as 1st:
3.55 * 5.61 = 19.9 ... 19.9 * 4 = 79.6
3.55 * 3.04 = 10.8

using 2nd as first:
5.13 * 5.61 = 28.8 ... 28.8 * 2.62 = 75.5
5.13 * 3.04 = 15.6
5.13 * 1.67 = 8.6

so really the 3.55s give me 27.5% more torque to ground off a stop sign, and 25.5% more torque in "2nd". way way better.

i'm trying to get a stock 3.55 3rd and swap in a 35sp spool to have a spare 3rd and use in the mean time. then i can wait til spring to order a new big bearing 3rd with the posi.
Old 07-09-2023, 03:46 PM   #51
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

You still have this thing? Day dreaming a ls TJ for my daughters first car and made me think of this jeep.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:00 AM   #52
6DoF

**** yeah! drove it to work this morning, I freaking love this jeep!

post-winter she needed the battery charged but fired right up. the spare factory 3rd i set up last year with the spool and 3.55's was getting on my nerves, so i set up the old yukon/LSD with another used set of 3.55's. these set up much better and are nice and quiet. this time i have good oil in the diff, we'll see how long they last.

she'd be the most bad-ass chick in town driving an LS TJ for a first car ... maybe start with a 4cyl TJ, then after a few years hook it up with the LS?
Old 07-10-2023, 12:13 PM   #53
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Yeah probably not the best idea to stick a teenager in a 3-400 hp swb jeep
Old 07-11-2023, 11:51 AM   #54
Cobound
- The Don -

Nate

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote