Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Tow Rig Talk

Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #101
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
I'd love a diesel, but like you, can't justify the times of use vs. daily needs and added costs that come w/ it.

I'm not sold on the Ramboxes...not able to use a topper, and now that I have one, love it. I'll buy another Ram w/o hesitation.

B
I have never had a cap so I don't know the benefits of that I guess. But the RamBoxes are awesome, I literally don't think I could buy a truck again without them. I keep all my tools in them, plus some stuff, and still have more room in them for periodic storage. No need for a tool box in the bed that you can't reach without climbing in the bed, no tools clanking around in the living room, err cab. It's perfect.

That said, I still want a classic 80s style roll bar and the Ram Boxes essentially make that impossible. So they aren't perfect...
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #102
Cobound
- The Don -

The sacrifice

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #103
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Encouraging to hear that guys with newer Rams love them.

I'm torn on Ramboxes. If I get a half ton I'll most likely get a 5.5ft bed. For 95% DD use the shorter wheelbase and added maneuverability will outweigh the cargo space of a bigger bed. Parking my current crew cab 6.5ft bed truck suuuuuucks. With an already tiny bed I'd have a hard time giving up any more space for Ramboxes. The organized, easily accessible storage would be great for ratchet straps, tools, etc, but the ridiculously small bed would suck for almost anything a truck bed is needed for.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #104
FUBAR
four years later???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post

I'm torn on Ramboxes. If I get a half ton I'll most likely get a 5.5ft bed. For 95% DD use the shorter wheelbase and added maneuverability will outweigh the cargo space of a bigger bed. Parking my current crew cab 6.5ft bed truck suuuuuucks. With an already tiny bed I'd have a hard time giving up any more space for Ramboxes. The organized, easily accessible storage would be great for ratchet straps, tools, etc, but the ridiculously small bed would suck for almost anything a truck bed is needed for.
Agreed. One thing I didn't like about my old styleside bed was the bed space it took away.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #105
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Quote:

The bed width is still 4 feet, you loose the awkward space between the front and back of the wheel wells but unless you are putting yards of top soil in it or packing it super tight I doubt you'd notice.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #106
Cobound
- The Don -

Yep, the bed is like a rectangle box with the Ramboxes, all straight sides. I didn’t find that as odd as I thought I would...but using a rack might be tough, less options (possibly) and definitely no option to use a topper, ever. Now that I have one I’m not giving it up!

I keep some stuff under my rear seat and in the cubbies to each side of the rear seat floors. Not as big as the Ramboxes, but handy enough for me.

Got my shocks today, gonna get them on this week...haven’t got my tires yet, but thinking Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. BFG KO don’t come in 295/60/20

Thoughts on other 295/60/20 tire choices?

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 02-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #107
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Quote:
... Parking my current crew cab 6.5ft bed truck suuuuuucks...
And here I am planning a CCLB as my next truck

I love a school bus

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:23 AM   #108
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

anyone been to any auto shows this season?? we went to the Chicago show last weekend just for something to do and all unanimously decided that if buying a new 2019 truck, the only choice was a new Ram. features, fit n finish, comfort, layout, options, function, everything was better.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #109
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
anyone been to any auto shows this season?? we went to the Chicago show last weekend just for something to do and all unanimously decided that if buying a new 2019 truck, the only choice was a new Ram. features, fit n finish, comfort, layout, options, function, everything was better.

We went to the Detroit show. We enjoyed the Ram as well, I might end up picking up a 2021 or so model year.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #110
Cobound
- The Don -

I'd love a new Ram, but not sure where I'll be w/ the choices come time I have the money to do so again. Love my '13 and may keep it a few more years. Just passing 84k, which is rare I put so few miles on in the time I've had it, but I've also had multiple vehicles I use throughout the year, so that helps.

Really digging the updates they've made tho...gonna be hard not to upgrade. However, a daughter in college and a son entering high school may keep me grounded on the new vehicle front

Old 02-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #111
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Why do the front end of trucks get uglier every year.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #112
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
Why do the front end of trucks get uglier every year.
CAFE

Thanks Obama!
Old 02-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #113
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
CAFE

Thanks Obama!
Yep

Still not as bad as it could be, like Jetsons bad, or 60’s concept Vehicles bad

Old 02-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #114
JEEPJERK
Wanna make out?

I'm going to wait and get a 2027 RamJet PartyCab with the built in wine dispenser and chilled cheese plate.
JEEPJERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #115
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post

Probably a great truck, but looks like a Tundra mated with a Silverado. Rams always had such a unique look and they're really straying from that.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #116
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

I agree, Sean. Out of the previous truck generation, I liked Ram's styling the best, followed by GMC. The Ram DT front end reminds me way too much of some of the other trucks out there at the moment.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #117
champ
not cool enough

Quote:
Probably a great truck, but looks like a Tundra mated with a Silverado. Rams always had such a unique look and they're really straying from that.
*glass shattering*

My god... that belt-line is identical to a Tundra.
champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #118
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
*glass shattering*

My god... that belt-line is identical to a Tundra.
To me the whole truck looks like a Tundra that someone grafted a Silverado grill onto
Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #119
Cobound
- The Don -

Funny, cuz I've been thinking they've been tracking towards the Ram, not the other way around.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #120
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
To me the whole truck looks like a Tundra that someone grafted a Silverado grill onto
That's about perfect.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote