Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2018, 12:18 PM   #161
FUBAR
four years later???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
Yep it's electronic. Fleet MPG standards pretty much force them to add stuff like that and engine start-stop to have a chance at meeting government requirements. Of course the know-nothing know-it-alls are up in arms about these axles being weak pieces of trash because they have an axle disconnect and the ring gear is a few mm smaller than the D44 they replaced. Nevermind the bigger C's, bigger OD and thickness tubes, etc. They're supposed to be pretty stout but of course the idiots have to bash at every opportunity.
But inevitably, those axles will get swapped with aftermarket for thousands of dollars more. Why not just make a streetable axle that's easy to swap.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #162
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
Yep it's electronic. Fleet MPG standards pretty much force them to add stuff like that and engine start-stop to have a chance at meeting government requirements. Of course the know-nothing know-it-alls are up in arms about these axles being weak pieces of trash because they have an axle disconnect and the ring gear is a few mm smaller than the D44 they replaced. Nevermind the bigger C's, bigger OD and thickness tubes, etc. They're supposed to be pretty stout but of course the idiots have to bash at every opportunity.
Agreed. We haven't seen a solid axle get as much of a clean sheet design in decades. They were able to go "What worked in the past and what can we do better in the future?"

I'm not saying we wont find out about weaknesses or room for improvement, but this is almost a greenfield axle so everything we think we know needs to be re-evaluted within the context of this axle.

Sure CAD was an issue before, maybe its going to be a total non issue in this axle?

Someone in the future, maybe, "Ya my CAD actuator died, I got 190k out of it before I ran over a pizza delivery robot leaving my driveway and broke the thing off." Should I lock the axle out or order a replacement for the actuator? The Amazon drone can have either the lockout kit or the replacement dropped off at my house before I get home from work."
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #163
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Yeah it will be better for sure. And I get why they did it. I would think a automatic hub would be better. Plus less spinning stuff in 2wd.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #164
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
Yeah it will be better for sure. And I get why they did it. I would think a automatic hub would be better. Plus less spinning stuff in 2wd.
I agree hubs would be better, it must be a cost issue that CAD does enough that complex hub system that can hold up to the abuse cannot compete with.

And you know there is no way in hell that they would sell a vehicle with manual locking hubs these days.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #165
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sam View Post
Someone in the future, maybe, "Ya my CAD actuator died, I got 190k out of it before I ran over a pizza delivery robot leaving my driveway and broke the thing off." Should I lock the axle out or order a replacement for the actuator? The Amazon drone can have either the lockout kit or the replacement dropped off at my house before I get home from work."
BAAAAAHAHAHAhahahah

this!
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:04 PM   #166
6DoF

Quote:
I agree hubs would be better, it must be a cost issue that CAD does enough that complex hub system that can hold up to the abuse cannot compete with.

And you know there is no way in hell that they would sell a vehicle with manual locking hubs these days.
i don't know ... i feel like the auto-locking hubs would be fine, and give the aftermarket the chance to simply drop in manual locking. better all around.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #167
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i don't know ... i feel like the auto-locking hubs would be fine, and give the aftermarket the chance to simply drop in manual locking. better all around.
Ya but from the engineering side that would probably add a huge cost to get the reliability to what the CAD system has.

Imagine if you had TWO electronic lockers in each hub that wore out every 100k miles. I'm pretty sure it would be one of those notorious failure items that go down in automotive history like the Chevy Diesel, or rusted toyota Dana frame.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #168
Cobound
- The Don -

Drove one today when I took my Ram in for an oil change...yep, I'm in love

Smooth, fast, about as quiet as the JK...as advertised - WAY MORE OPTIONS

The stop engine was a bit odd, but it has an override button and wasn't all that noticeable when taking off.

Anyway, can't justify it, but I sure did like it. I'd probably consider buying my wife a 2 door JK or JL now, if she wanted one...but she prefers the TJ, so I'll just keep spending that money on my toys

Had a sticker of $52,050 and as soon as I walked in the door a guy took the keys as he had just signed papers to take it home

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #169
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Ya but from the engineering side that would probably add a huge cost to get the reliability to what the CAD system has.

Imagine if you had TWO electronic lockers in each hub that wore out every 100k miles. I'm pretty sure it would be one of those notorious failure items that go down in automotive history like the Chevy Diesel, or rusted toyota Dana frame.
Plenty of cars came with mechanical auto locking hubs.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #170
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
...but she prefers the TJ
and she's correct!

Quote:
Had a sticker of $52,050 and as soon as I walked in the door a guy took the keys as he had just signed papers to take it home
jebus! the wife's 2016 'vette only had a sticker of $54k! and i'm sorry, i love jeeps, but i'll take a vette for the same money. omg
Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #171
Cobound
- The Don -

Yep, pretty insane!

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 02-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #172
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Translation: In 3 months Cobound will own a JL.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #173
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Translation: In 3 months Cobound will own a JL.

That would be true even a few years ago, and you've called it before...but not this round. Just too rich for my blood, and I have a built JK that is cheaper than a stock JL...and the wife is happy w/ her TJ, so no.

Not to mention, the damn industry I'm in isn't being all that friendly to my pocketbook as of late, so it's not a good time to indulge.

That said, if my wife wanted a nice used 2 door JK I'd be on the hunt for that, but the JL is going to have to wait...at least until the JT comes out. Not sure I need a 1/2 ton Ram any more, but I certainly can't live w/o a truck. Hell, you called that one, too...once you've had a truck you can't go back.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #174
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:

That would be true even a few years ago, and you've called it before...but not this round. Just too rich for my blood, and I have a built JK that is cheaper than a stock JL...and the wife is happy w/ her TJ, so no.

Not to mention, the damn industry I'm in isn't being all that friendly to my pocketbook as of late, so it's not a good time to indulge.

That said, if my wife wanted a nice used 2 door JK I'd be on the hunt for that, but the JL is going to have to wait...at least until the JT comes out. Not sure I need a 1/2 ton Ram any more, but I certainly can't live w/o a truck. Hell, you called that one, too...once you've had a truck you can't go back.
Ok, ok.....6 months.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #175
Cobound
- The Don -

Old 02-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #176
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

edit: I have to agree on the pricing... $52K is the sticker price of a loaded out HEMI Grand Cherokee Trailhawk... Or a 4Runner TRD Pro with ~$10K left over for upgrades... And that's $19K more than the sticker on my old '09 JKUR... And the sad/scary thing is the JLURs are selling easily at that price point...

Last edited by Jeepin Jason; 02-03-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #177
FUBAR
four years later???

That is the scary part. So many people are willing to spend that much money on a car. Especially a Jeep. You could buy a high-end luxury car for less money. It's also why most of them will probably be leased and not purchased.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #178
Cobound
- The Don -

By the time you price out a JL build, you could pick up a sweet built JKUR (similar to what I did) or a Brute DC, for that matter...which I’m more apt to consider, more for your money. I’m guessing those Brute prices will come down some, already seen a few dropped to ALMOST reasonable prices, considering their original tags!! But still out there.

I’d trade mine for a Brute DC Rubi on 37s...actually talked to a guy a few weeks ago just to see what he’d do. He balked, but did say he’d be in Moab this spring, we’ll see if I run into him, and what happens

Now, Sean, THAT is more likely to happen in the next 3-6 months than me owning a JL

It beckons the thoughts I already have w/ my Ram vs. Suburban tho...completely open interior of an SUV vs. hauling capacity of a truck. Everything reachable from inside when traveling vs. needing to stop to grab gear in the bed, always pros and cons. Full-size vs. Compact. I like the comparison Dubs gave w/ the JK and Taco front to back, can’t wait to see it in person.

Bottom line, yes, $52k is a LOT of money, but people are willing to spend $10k a seat for a Super Bowl ticket, a game that lasts 3 hours, bonus they get to see a live music show at half...there’s a market for everything at any price...like the houses people are renting for $20k a night, or $250k a week during their SB stay

Old 02-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #179
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

Speaking of spending lots of money... Saw this a few weeks ago. The trailer alone probably cost as much if not more than BigRed did brand new.

Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #180
Cobound
- The Don -

Yes, you would be right. Crazy what those Lil things go for