Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #141
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

I saw a JL wrangler today for the first time......they are starting to hit the streets.

The next year or so is going to be very interesting seeing what happens and what comes out.

The JK was pretty revolutionary when it came out, this one not as much, but many people are gonna go crazy spending money on parts. Seems this jeep is geared towards bolting on parts even more than the last, lots of factory upgrades available.
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #142
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
The JL is more than the JK so don't expect JK prices to drop any time soon. I just wish my CJ would jump up in value so I could sell knowing I only wasted thousand, instead of 10s of thousands.
Apples to apples the JL price increased very little from the JK. The price tags are high on all the ones in the market now because they've got a ton of options on them. There's a lot more available content on JL, so yeah with the extra gadgets the cost is higher. If someone wants a JL equipped like their JK was then they won't have to pay much more, I think within $1-2k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sam View Post
I saw a JL wrangler today for the first time......they are starting to hit the streets.

The next year or so is going to be very interesting seeing what happens and what comes out.

The JK was pretty revolutionary when it came out, this one not as much, but many people are gonna go crazy spending money on parts. Seems this jeep is geared towards bolting on parts even more than the last, lots of factory upgrades available.
Welcome to 6 months ago

Mopar stepped up their game with offerings big time. FCA also built in far more complexity and options than they ever have on a Jeep. The chassis platform is very very similar to JK, fixed some handling/suspension design flaws, and made it very aftermarket friendly for the most part.

On JK 37s were the biggest you could easily go, any more drastically complicated things as far as clearances and tire fitment. The JL Rubicon was damn near built around 37s and they fit with very little effort....not that I've seen and flexed one out first hand or anything
I'll be curious to see how tough the axles are, because it should be a lot easier for a lot more people to put these things on 40s than it has been on any past Jeep.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #143
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
Apples to apples the JL price increased very little from the JK. The price tags are high on all the ones in the market now because they've got a ton of options on them. There's a lot more available content on JL, so yeah with the extra gadgets the cost is higher. If someone wants a JL equipped like their JK was then they won't have to pay much more, I think within $1-2k.

On JK 37s were the biggest you could easily go, any more drastically complicated things as far as clearances and tire fitment. The JL Rubicon was damn near built around 37s and they fit with very little effort....not that I've seen and flexed one out first hand or anything
I'll be curious to see how tough the axles are, because it should be a lot easier for a lot more people to put these things on 40s than it has been on any past Jeep.
I've heard everyone b!tch about the pricing...but I'm w/ you. They are ALL going to be decked out right now, but once you start ordering them, or they start coming out after they've been on the streets a while, they'll be similar pricing.

They are still trying to sell the remaining new JKs they have on the lots...so why come out w/ a low dough JL when people will pay the premium, get all the updated gadgets, at a price...they won't. So, until the market clears of the new on the lot JKs a bit, expect to see the higher priced JLs on the lots. They want those w/ the $$$$.

Far as building to suit the aftermarket, crazy on point. No other vehicle has ever been so adapted to the aftermarket...it's what this lives for.

Definitely see more on 40s now...but if those axles don't hold up it will be a mess

I'll stick to my JK w/ 60/80...for now

Man, the more I see the JL, I really like the fenders, the rolled hard top corners, the grille...still can't wait to see one in person!! And even more jacked for the JT!!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #144
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
The JL is more than the JK so don't expect JK prices to drop any time soon. I just wish my CJ would jump up in value so I could sell knowing I only wasted thousand, instead of 10s of thousands.
CJ prices have been back on the move the last year and a half. https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...0?yearRange=15
And they have done better than Gold, the S&P, and the Dow. Only Nasdaq has done better.

Last edited by Dennis; 01-30-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #145
Cobound
- The Don -

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #146
FUBAR
four years later???

I'm going to claim Dennis is smart, only because he'll then argue he's stupid as fukk.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #147
Cobound
- The Don -

You take it too seriously...at least he's not wrath

Old 01-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #148
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Old 01-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #149
Cobound
- The Don -

Saw the vid on FB

Shyt happens. Would I be pissed, yes...but what do you expect from a year 1 vehicle

I don’t know that I’d spread it all over the WWW as a lemon

Old 01-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #150
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

6 miles man. That is bad.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:32 PM   #151
Cobound
- The Don -

Sure is. New vehicle, loose wire, bad connection, faulty widget...happens. Likely be fixed pretty quickly, doubt it’s a model failure.

Anyway, I’d be peeved, too...but I’m also not a builder.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:58 AM   #152
FUBAR
four years later???

I think for the money they charge for it, I'd be PO'd to.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:45 AM   #153
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

oh yeah, 6mi? i'd be in there getting some money back or something, i'd be pissed. but i 100% understand that **** happens when you put that many parts together that many times ... one pile of parts may have an issue. statistics
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:38 AM   #154
Cobound
- The Don -

Oh, I'm clearly speaking as an observer...I have the benefit of seeing it from afar as it's NOT mine

Make no mistake, I'd be PITHED as hell...but it's not like it's not going to be taken care of.

Yes, statistics, it was going to happen to someone, bummer it was them but luckily not some schmo that knows nothing about vehicles.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #155
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
I'm going to claim Dennis is smart, only because he'll then argue he's stupid as fukk.
Crap, I give you credit for having the rare appreciating vehicle, and you still think I am picking on you. Boo fricking hoo.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:06 AM   #156
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

It's lame they brought back the axle disconnect. At least it's not the vacuum addition that plagued the 90s
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:07 AM   #157
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
It's lame they brought back the axle disconnect. At least it's not the vacuum addition that plagued the 90s
Agree. Is it cable actuated now?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #158
Cobound
- The Don -

Yeah, that YJ disconnect was horrid! Vacuum actuated BS!

I'm not sure how this one will work, haven't looked into it, but it HAS to be better...and with the knowledge of past issues that plagued the YJ...I'm confident upgrades will be plentiful and stout. Doesn't worry me.

Hell, swap to a D60 front and you won't have to worry about it

Old 01-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #159
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Agree. Is it cable actuated now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Yeah, that YJ disconnect was horrid! Vacuum actuated BS!

I'm not sure how this one will work, haven't looked into it, but it HAS to be better...and with the knowledge of past issues that plagued the YJ...I'm confident upgrades will be plentiful and stout. Doesn't worry me.

Hell, swap to a D60 front and you won't have to worry about it

This gives some good info and views on the new axles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJHOMm3tCN0

Basically the CAD is electronic, and I bet it works pretty good. Still I'm sure for those that don't want it will end up being something to lock in place just like on the old XJs and YJs.

It is a good idea and it is necessary in this day and age, as long as its not a problematic failure point from the factory I think its a good idea.

Plus there will be two types of owners, those who DGAF and will leave it alone, and those that do and will promptly ditch it, lock it out, or replace the shafts with something else.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:13 PM   #160
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Yep it's electronic. Fleet MPG standards pretty much force them to add stuff like that and engine start-stop to have a chance at meeting government requirements. Of course the know-nothing know-it-alls are up in arms about these axles being weak pieces of trash because they have an axle disconnect and the ring gear is a few mm smaller than the D44 they replaced. Nevermind the bigger C's, bigger OD and thickness tubes, etc. They're supposed to be pretty stout but of course the idiots have to bash at every opportunity.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote