Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk

Old 12-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #21
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
Despite lots of similarities to JK, the JL is doing many things a lot different as well. JK had tons of parts commonality between models, where JL has huge differences between them. The Rubicon package has more unique features than ever before....wider axles, entirely different fender flares and wheel liners(37" tires should easily fit with 2" lift), etc. More complexity and options across the lineup than ever before, including tops, doors, stylized hoods, steel bumpers, packages, etc. From what I've heard, despite the Wrangler's history of being a rugged utilitarian offroader, the JL is refined and comfy, basically a Grand Cherokee with solid axles. Like it or not, that's what sells vehicles. People aren't going out and dropping $45k for a noisy, clunky, uncomfortable Jeep they can do the occasional offroading with, that's just not the market for new vehicles. Soccer moms buy them, weekend warriors who need a good daily driver buy them. Hardcore offroaders will be buying up the used models of the previous generation as the current owners upgrade to the new one. I give Jeep a lot of credit, they designed and built something that will sell, and they did it without taking away from the capabilities and heritage of the iconic vehicle.

Nah. Everyone thinks AEV has a huge leg up on getting vehicles, data, etc, but that's pretty far from the truth. Mopar treats most companies as competitors because they/we are. I've seen some on the roads due to my vicinity to the tech center and proving grounds but that's about it. We've got lots of concepts in the works but are waiting on vehicles to arrive before we can finalize designs and kick off production. JL is going to force lots of companies to change up their game a bit, they're now offering so many different features like hoods and bumpers that many companies offering aftermarket parts will have to work extra hard to come up with stuff more appealing than the long list of factory options.
The Hardcore crew has always waited around for used, nothing new there. It sounds like they really did this one right. I will never agree with turn signals on the fenders instead of the grill, but I guys that helps them with sales in the rest of the world. I am a bit weary thinking of the premium that is going to be asked for all those factory options. Will be holding on to the JK at least another four years when my oldest will be 16, and might pass it on to him. But, will be keeping an eye out for the JL that screams DENNIS.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #22
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
The Hardcore crew has always waited around for used, nothing new there.
I'm not claiming it's anything new, I'm just saying that's why they keep getting increasingly refined and comfy. The hardcore enthusiasts who are the first to b1tch about the changes and updates are also the least likely to buy a new one. Fortunately the OEM is smart enough to know that.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #23
FUBAR
four years later???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
I'm not claiming it's anything new, I'm just saying that's why they keep getting increasingly refined and comfy. The hardcore enthusiasts who are the first to b1tch about the changes and updates are also the least likely to buy a new one. Fortunately the OEM is smart enough to know that.
If you're talking about buggy and truggy people, then I agree. But almost everyone in the local jeep club has a JK and many are wheeling the piss out of them brand new.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #24
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Quote:
I will never agree with turn signals on the fenders instead of the grill, but I guys that helps them with sales in the rest of the world.
I believe it specifically allows them to sell the vehicles in the US for safety regulations.

Did this not start with the TJ, or were the fender flare lights only reflectors and had no actual illumination?
edit: looks like they were actual lights from what I can see, which explains why that trend is continuing.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #25
FUBAR
four years later???

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
I believe it specifically allows them to sell the vehicles in the US for safety regulations.

Did this not start with the TJ, or were the fender flare lights only reflectors and had no actual illumination?
edit: looks like they were actual lights from what I can see, which explains why that trend is continuing.
My CJ has working lights in the fenders.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #26
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post

They've had working lights in the fender flare area since at least CJ days, but the main front turn signals went out of the grill and into the fenders for the TJ, then back to grill for JK, and now back to the flares for JL. The JL version is also a DRL.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #27
FUBAR
four years later???

Old 12-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #28
FUBAR
four years later???

Old 12-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #29
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Pricing seems fishy. Standard is probably the Pentastar, and yeah the rare and cheaper 6 speed manual is the "base transmission". I don't see the 3.6L and 8 speed auto being a $3500 option on top of that.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #30
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

pretty solid run-down ... even thought the guy is kind of a turd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLj9D4vo56Q
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #31
Cobound
- The Don -

Turd is putting it lightly

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #32
BanditXJ
El Bandito

Send a message via AIM to BanditXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Turd is putting it lightly

This video brought you and hosted by Mathesar from Galaxy Quest
Old 12-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #33
6DoF

Old 12-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #34
6DoF

i'll give Fiat some credit here, i think they did good as long as the quality is there and parts don't just bend/break. they have literally accounted for everything that basically 98% of ppl who buy em want to do. they have also slashed the aftermarket for smalls, so it'll also be interesting to see what they come up with for it.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #35
Cobound
- The Don -

Good Lord, Bandit

Never seen that movie, not sure I ever will

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i'll give Fiat some credit here, i think they did good as long as the quality is there and parts don't just bend/break. they have literally accounted for everything that basically 98% of ppl who buy em want to do. they have also slashed the aftermarket for smalls, so it'll also be interesting to see what they come up with for it.
Ditto.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 12-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #36
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
Just had to replace my radiator where the seam between the metal coil meets the plastic. Thing should have lasted far longer than 40K.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #37
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Just had to replace my radiator where the seam between the metal coil meets the plastic. Thing should have lasted far longer than 40K.
Isn't that covered under warranty?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #38
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Isn't that covered under warranty?
It was 4k miles ago.
It is not attached to the engine, so the water pump has a 5/100k warranty, and the hoses attached to the water pump are covered, but the radiator isn't.
Quote:
Parts Covered
The Powertrain Limited Warranty covers these parts and
components of your vehicle’s powertrain supplied by
Chrysler Group LLC:
Gasoline Engine:
cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head
assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears
and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump
and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel
with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan;
turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger
wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner;
seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Last edited by Dennis; 12-14-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #39
Cobound
- The Don -

That's absolute BS!

Old 12-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #40
Blue XJ

Send a message via AIM to Blue XJ

Quote:
It was 4k miles ago.
It is not attached to the engine, so the water pump has a 5/100k warranty, and the hoses attached to the water pump are covered, but the radiator isn't.

Is the entire hose covered, or just the half that is on the water pump side? They do anything they can to avoid paying.
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote