Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk

Old 11-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Default TJ Build Thread

Ill spare the history of the Jeep. But after 7 years since starting the project, Im about to move it under its own power tomorrow (Black Friday). I need to move it out of the garage and give it a bath, and clean up the spot its been sitting in for years. My neighbor is coming over to install some more outlets for me, and needs the room to work.

1997 TJ.

Details: 5.7 Hemi, 545rfe trans, Atlas transfer case, HPD60 front with Artec truss, hi steer arms, Detroit, Yukon axles, Yukon 35 spline hubs. Tera60 Rear retubed to full witdth with 14 bolt outers, custom shafts, ARB air locker. Suspension is 4 link front and rear with Fox 2.0 adjustable coilovers. Full cage inside with Mastercraft seats and harnesses. 42" IROK's on Trailread 17" Beadlocks.

Status as of now....bled the brakes, bolted the rear driveshaft in place, and made sure fluids were topped off. I started up the Hemi about a month ago and found a few issues that ive since corrected; fittings on the remote oil filter leaked, steering hoses leaked at the ram.

So, tomorrow I start it up, put it in gear, and move it about 15 feet.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
FUBAR
four years later???

Old 11-25-2017, 01:47 AM   #3
JEEPJERK
Wanna make out?

Did you make it?
JEEPJERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
Kurt
TJ Pimp

One of the steering hoses won't stop leaking, not sure why. Probably need to get a new fitting.

Started it up at least and let it run....lifter noises quieted down and it smoothed out pretty good. Need to fix that steering hose first and let it run longer and get up to temp.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
FUBAR
four years later???

When I did my SBC swap I had the same issue. It was a fitting on the hose.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
Cobound
- The Don -

Get on it!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:38 AM   #9
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Ok...well, it moved under its own power. Pulled out of the garage and washed the layers of filth off of it.

Then the high from getting it moved went away quickly. I was backing it into the garage and it died on me. Not like it stumbled with loss of fuel, but just quit. Won't restart....theres no fuel pump kicking on, no starter, and the gauges display "no bus".

Its got to be something simple since it was running just fine earlier, and just suddenly quit. Either a pinched wire, loose wire/plug, loose ground....something.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:08 AM   #10
FUBAR
four years later???

Did you check the air in the tires?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #11
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
Did you check the air in the tires?
i'm with him, you probably never changed over to storage air did you

to me that sounds like a lost connection. like way back when the last time you jacked with it something wasn't plugged in all the way. or you got water in something and it'll dry, try again tonight.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
Kurt
TJ Pimp

there’s 0 tire pressure in the tires. Had to ratchet strap the suspension down do get it out of the garage.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #13
FUBAR
four years later???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
there’s 0 tire pressure in the tires. Had to ratchet strap the suspension down do get it out of the garage.
When my CJ moved under it's own power, I had to flatten the tires to get it out of the garage. And the top had to be off. The roll bar pad rubbed the top of the garage door jamb.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #14
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
When my CJ moved under it's own power, I had to flatten the tires to get it out of the garage. And the top had to be off. The roll bar pad rubbed the top of the garage door jamb.
even with the suspension ratcheted down the top still rubbed. If I had the top off it'd clear.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #15
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Found one of the fuses in the fuse panel behind the glove box was blown. 10amp fuse for the power distribution block, replaced that and it fired right up.

Now to track down why is popped that fuse......
Old 12-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #16
FUBAR
four years later???

Old 12-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #17
6DoF

Old 01-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #18
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Well, it IS alive. I've done a lot of detail work to get it cleaned up and was actually able to drive it. Took a few spins around the block with it and took my son for a ride...he has never seen it run as I started the tear down before he was born. He's 8 now. :facepalm: A buddy of mine came down and helped get some of the last things done so we can do the test drive.

Going through it all now to make sure all bolts are tight, and then I'll be posting it up for sale. Need to figure out an asking price.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #19
Cobound
- The Don -

Damn, 8 years...and selling it. Well, makes me realize just how lucky I was w/ my Scrambler...and why I went out and bought a built JK

Good luck on the sale - why not keep it for at least a little bit, now that it's moving/running?

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #20
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post

Good luck on the sale - why not keep it for at least a little bit, now that it's moving/running?
Thought about it, but if I wheel it, Ill end up wanting to keep it. I also run the risk of doing something that detracts from the value as-is. Also, 8 years is a long time, and there's things I'd do differently now. Im having a hard time as I finish it now, not going back and redoing some things. If I keep it, Ill always want to keep re-working it and I dont want to do that.

We're planning on moving, so I'll be selling to do that, and then putting some money into the JK after the move.