Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #1
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Default The Hooptie Jeep

Picked up a 1997 TJ with the 2.5L and 5 Speed summer. We needed a third vehicle, kids need to learn stick, it is slow enough to not get tickets, and stick is a good theft detergent.
Spent little enough on it that if it only makes it to the end of August it will totally be worth it. Has a remanufactured engine only 2 years and 2500 miles on it from the paper work. Seems to run strong, but the t-case only goes into 4wd if you shake it, and it occasionally kicks out into Neutral from 4H, have not popped the clutch in 4L to see if it is really 2L or 4L. Will get it looked at if I keep it into the winter.

Frame is pretty solid for a 27 year old TJ. Body has a few issues I can ignore and eventually cheat fix with some diamond plate covers.

Kid I bought it from needed money for school/apartment deposit. Talked him down to a price I felt was fair for both, I think Cobound would be proud. Came with a hard top, and both full and half factory doors, only half doors matched the paint. Gave me a few boxes of parts he had gathered over the six years he owned it, said there was a soft top in one. Under a full cage netting, the "soft top" turned out to be a used Miata top.

Has the camo Willys seats the kid picked up somewhere. Didn't like them at first, but they have grown on me.

Got a damaged box Rampage halfcab soft top for $100 on Amazon. Except for the fact that Rampage is crap compared to Bestop, it was in perfect new condition. Only rained once so far, seemed to keep things dry. Will run topless as much as we can this summer.

Removed the Carr lightbar. So wanted one for my Jeep in 1989, not anymore.
Removed the HiLift and mount from the hood.
Peeled off the Call of Duty stickers.

Just need to get the passenger side marker light working, and it will pass safety inspection. It is now old enough to be emissions exempt.

The odometer shot for Cobound.

Hooptie with the new office in the background and old office in the way back back ground.

*Hardtop pics are from the Facebook Marketplace listing.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #2
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Nice! Jeep looks very solid for the era, and the interior even looks clean! Rather shocking that it was owned by a kid and in that shape.
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 AM   #3
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

freakin proper!
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:23 AM   #4
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
Nice! Jeep looks very solid for the era, and the interior even looks clean! Rather shocking that it was owned by a kid and in that shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
freakin proper!
Thanks! Interior is a hodge podge of collected parts. As is the exterior. The full doors and hardtop are off of a Sahara. The tan looks good on the black, but need to paint the green doors if I keep it past the Summer.

First day with it, the 15 year old said I was making him seasick. Been 20 years since I drove anything stick off of a race track. Got back to some much smoother driving after 24 hours.

Wish it was 18 years ago when I could have picked up some Rubicon take-off springs and shocks on craigslist for a song.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote