View Single Post
Old 01-09-2024, 11:23 AM   #353
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Is it being plumbed into the engine cooling circuit? If so, I'd do a dedicated circuit for the air to water. You'd definitely want it cooling the charge below where the engine would be running.

Big air to air is more suitable for keeping temps in check in situations such as hauling up a long grade. YMMV though.

it's not part of the engine cooling! ... no one should be using engine coolant for a water-to-air in any application except maybe sub-arctic. this comes up all the time on every forum and i have no clue where anyone get the idea from.

from now on i'm calling them water chillers instead of radiators ... maybe that'll help.

as for air-to-air vs water-to-air for heavy extended loading, either can suffer or either can be engineered to provide more than enough cooling capacity. the decision mostly comes down to space, complexity, and costs to pick one or the other. most ppl use some tiny water chiller due to space/location issues, or only an ice box reservoir for drag racing. an ice box will heat soak real quick.

i'm very space limited in the nose of the 55 from the long engine, and lowered chassis, plus getting the '78 steering in there. the 55 radiator is notably smaller than that of a 2nd gen ram to start with. by removing the air-to-air from in front of it, it's getting much cooler air to start with, should be no issue. water-to-air is more complex and more cost, but allows me to use space i have above the engine and under the bed. the key is ... did i size and place the components correctly to never heat soak. my water chiller should have more surface area than the charge cooler.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote