View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #127
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAndy View Post
I just checked out pricing on these things. WOW
JL comparably equipped to a JK is only I think $1-2k more. Problem is, most of them currently out there are loaded to the gills and the price is jacked up accordingly. They offer way more widgets and doohickeys in them now, so the max price is higher. Of course that's all the haters see and b1tch about, but that's inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sam View Post
Holy sheet thats a small bed. Think there will be a longbed option?
Not gonna happen. People are already whining that it's too long and breakover sucks. It's gonna be a fairly low volume, high priced niche vehicle. Marchionne said it himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
And the rounded edges are going to take some getting used to, really like how AEV did them, and the bed. I do like the JL top tho, real sleek...and the extra space they created by moving the wiper below, why did it take them so long

Anyway, this is what the damn thing should look like

Only thing I've never really liked about it is the fact that the bed doesn't line up w/ the hard top...looks odd when removed.

I digress...

I highly doubt there will be a longbed version, they are already long enough and confident R&D has not included extending it. However, you may see some aftermarket extenders

Super excited to see these on the road, unmasked!!
That looks goofy because it doesn't have flares and is stock ride height. Ever see a Brute at stock ride height? Looks retarded. 35s are ok, IMO 37s are minimum to look good proportionally. Then again I'm around 40" trucks day in and day out so my perception is probably skewed. As for body/bed alignment, think about how shallow the bed would have to be to match the body line. The JL has a higher beltline so it's easier for them to match it, plus designing the understructure to work together happily from the get-go rather than as a retrofit opens up a lot of opportunity.

There will be a lot of Brute design cues on JT. FCA has had them in their design studio for years. They've been wanting to make one for a loooong time but it was too late in JK product cycle to justify the expense. People don't realize the true cost of design, validation, testing, tooling, etc, etc.

Sounds like the JT is an entirely unique vehicle compared to JL. It almost needs to be since the body structure no longer adds rigidity to the frame once you get past the rear seats and it's still meant to ride/handle properly and be able to carry a load. Should have much better payload than any Wrangler we've seen, but I doubt it'll be 1/2 ton truck territory. Colorado/Ranger if we're lucky. But as I said above, it's a niche vehicle and will probably be out of price range for most people who want to use it like a truck anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
I can get behind that...all things AEV didn't need to concern themselves with, since they were a custom builder, one off type mindset.

Good points, Sean, being bolt-off (yes, that's what I said - ha) and easy to remove is key for anyone that wants to do more than drive to the mall
I'm not talking about the whole corner coming off, that's specific to the stamped steel HardRock-style like on the Rubicon in your video. The plastic Sport and Sahard bumpers are 1 piece. I'm just talking about the ugly gap filler wings that tie up between bumper and flare.
Like these, but now a separate piece:

Last edited by bbaCJ8; 01-26-2018 at 09:11 AM.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote