Thread: Koh 2020
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #85
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
Yes, I've been passively reading about shock tuning for about a year now. I dont really have anything I can use at the moment for it but its something I find super interesting. Next set of shocks for the truck I want to get some rebuildable ones, and fart around with it.
It's pretty fun. Rebuilding shocks is fun and really easy, just knowing what to tweak is tricky. Especially on a vehicle with awful mass ratios that sees a huge mix of uses and terrain. I did lots of research then lots of testing on my own rig. I think I've been through 4 iterations of tunes on my TJ or maybe only 3. I dunno, been a couple years and I don't have the sheets in front of me. It's still not 100% but it's night and day better than it used to be. Good enough that I haven't felt a need to tear into it in 3+ years. I've gotten some shocked thumbs up from a few long travel and sand rail guys after running with them through the dunes and across terrain that a stupid rock crawler never should have been able to do with speed.

Since doing all the work I've spent a bunch of times with a couple phenomenal tuners from AEV and Bilstein. Picked up a bunch of info from them and actually had some good feedback that helped them improve the packages we were working on too. So that was some nice validation for me to actually be helpful with the pros. After some of the testing sessions I took my TJ through some of the same stuff to see how bad it was in comparison and it was like butter. I was really happy with myself after doing that.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote