View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #33
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby peez View Post
What kind of joint do you use between the diff cover and that z thing to have play due to the fixed mount on those "lower" links?

What do you call that style suspension?
this version of a radius arm suspension is generally called a "truck arm" setup. factory to C10 trucks, and used in NASCAR. my links are actually only 6" longer than a factory C10. the little extra length was what allowed me to dial in the anti-squat numbers.

just to try something different, and because i wanted a lot of suspension travel with the tires tucked tight to the fenders, i went with the WATTs link instead of the panhard bar. over 15" of travel, my links induce only about 0.07" lateral motion. it has standard poly bushings on the frame side of the links and heims at the pivot link. the center pivot is a big-ol Johnny joint. was easy to fab with, and allows the link to rotate some with the travel while still being a stiff joint. when i was designing it i went back n forth with Sean over that fact that it being able to pivot could also induce some extra lateral motion. per the geometry, it's less than 0.1" so i suspect no bad effects. but i've been wrong before, and we are going to find out!

that part of the suspension i designed and built in 2017 it'll be moved over to the new chassis.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote