View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 07:17 AM   #51
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

more progress happening! got the transmission crossmember totally welded up. once the engine and trans are fit into the chassis/body i'll make the bushing mount then. got the gas tank mounts mostly built up n ready to weld to the frame when the time comes. i still need to figure out a strap set-up though.

my new air fittings finally arrived! i was able to mock up the front end for the first time complete and watch it travel. other than the wheel to LCA clearance turning that i already knew about, it's game on. of course, as soon as i did that, i tore it all completely apart. LCA mods, and without the crossmember was MUCH easier and cleaner to fixture on the front frame horns. i decided after i started building that i would use the stock style steering, but i NEVER would have guessed that the frame needed to hold it would be straight off the way it is. next frame i'd make the 6x2 longer and have the steering and cross member in the same layout. oh well, this does have space saving benefits at the core support body mount.

finally i started to prep the frame for the fish plates. i normally don't like to grind welds, but can't add plates without it flat. of course it's hard to just end the grind, so i carried it over the ends too. the top however i went back and tacked in to fill the weld under-cut witness lines and re-ground them.

i also started to modify the front LCAs with stiffening gussets before i chop out clearance for the wheels to turn more, but i'll post that when done.

Last edited by 6DoF; 01-11-2021 at 07:21 AM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote