View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #33
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post

WTF, how did that happen...and wow, that's pricey

I'd have to consider a Hemi swap at that point
Its the CP4 pump (High Pressure Fuel Pump) found in the Fords and Chevys. Bosch makes it. I've read several reasons why they break down, first is that they apparently doesnt do well with the ultra low sulfer diesel in the states, and it causes the pump to eat itself up with the lack of proper lubrication. The other is if the Flow Meter on the pump itself goes out and sticks open, it runs the pump at 100% duty cycle, 60,000 psi, and it eats itself up. Both send metal dust, shavings, or chunks through the entire fuel system....leading to you needing to replace everything; injectors, pump, fuel lines, regulators, filters, injector rails, etc etc.

They do sell a "catastrophe prevention kit" that is supposed to take those metal pieces directly back to the tank and bypass everything else. So you would just need to replace the pump instead of what Im having to do.

XDP catastrophe prevention kit

Unfortunately, thats what I was originally having my buddy install, but when he got in there to do the work, found it was too late. A $500 job before my trip turned into an $8,000 jobs real quick, and the truck is still not done, and Im supposed to be leaving in 20 hours.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote