Thread: I went wheeling
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #196
Hoofmann
AKA: Kebo

Alright, I haven’t been driving my TJ at all because it broke down on me hard. I was driving it down the highway about a month ago and it kept quitting on me like I described in my Moab trip. This time, I couldn’t get it started. When I turned the key to run, the fuel pump relay wouldn’t fire. Cranked but no start. Kept trying to get it started again and then the cranking stopped too, after about 30 min of fricking with it.

The battery is strong, I know that’s not the issue. When i turn the key to run, I get all the lights, radio, etc but no fuel pump. Then, when I turn the key to start, I get nothing. A couple of relays click under the dash but that’s it. Additionally, after a few seconds (15 or so) the odometer will read “no bus”. The check engine light isn’t even on anymore. I bet it’s burned out.

I haven’t really worked on it much, aside from reading a wiring diagram and taking a multimeter to it to find where I’m getting juice. I haven’t traced all the wires yet.

So to summarize, no fuel pump, no crank, just a couple of relays behind the dash click when I try to start it. I’m at a loss for what to do next. I might make a separate thread to garner more attention on this and try to get an answer.

Some things I think are going on are:
1. Crank Position Sensor - only because I touched it when I swapped transmissions.

2. Bad ground - just based on the intermittent and unpredictable nature.

3. Bad starter (unrelated to the way it runs, however) - I’ve been having issues with it lately but it hadn’t quit on me totally. Maybe it’s finally given up.

4. Funked wiring - I suck at wiring.

Last edited by Hoofmann; 06-16-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Hoofmann is offline   Reply With Quote