View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #21
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
Despite lots of similarities to JK, the JL is doing many things a lot different as well. JK had tons of parts commonality between models, where JL has huge differences between them. The Rubicon package has more unique features than ever before....wider axles, entirely different fender flares and wheel liners(37" tires should easily fit with 2" lift), etc. More complexity and options across the lineup than ever before, including tops, doors, stylized hoods, steel bumpers, packages, etc. From what I've heard, despite the Wrangler's history of being a rugged utilitarian offroader, the JL is refined and comfy, basically a Grand Cherokee with solid axles. Like it or not, that's what sells vehicles. People aren't going out and dropping $45k for a noisy, clunky, uncomfortable Jeep they can do the occasional offroading with, that's just not the market for new vehicles. Soccer moms buy them, weekend warriors who need a good daily driver buy them. Hardcore offroaders will be buying up the used models of the previous generation as the current owners upgrade to the new one. I give Jeep a lot of credit, they designed and built something that will sell, and they did it without taking away from the capabilities and heritage of the iconic vehicle.

Nah. Everyone thinks AEV has a huge leg up on getting vehicles, data, etc, but that's pretty far from the truth. Mopar treats most companies as competitors because they/we are. I've seen some on the roads due to my vicinity to the tech center and proving grounds but that's about it. We've got lots of concepts in the works but are waiting on vehicles to arrive before we can finalize designs and kick off production. JL is going to force lots of companies to change up their game a bit, they're now offering so many different features like hoods and bumpers that many companies offering aftermarket parts will have to work extra hard to come up with stuff more appealing than the long list of factory options.
The Hardcore crew has always waited around for used, nothing new there. It sounds like they really did this one right. I will never agree with turn signals on the fenders instead of the grill, but I guys that helps them with sales in the rest of the world. I am a bit weary thinking of the premium that is going to be asked for all those factory options. Will be holding on to the JK at least another four years when my oldest will be 16, and might pass it on to him. But, will be keeping an eye out for the JL that screams DENNIS.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote