View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #162
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
Yep it's electronic. Fleet MPG standards pretty much force them to add stuff like that and engine start-stop to have a chance at meeting government requirements. Of course the know-nothing know-it-alls are up in arms about these axles being weak pieces of trash because they have an axle disconnect and the ring gear is a few mm smaller than the D44 they replaced. Nevermind the bigger C's, bigger OD and thickness tubes, etc. They're supposed to be pretty stout but of course the idiots have to bash at every opportunity.
Agreed. We haven't seen a solid axle get as much of a clean sheet design in decades. They were able to go "What worked in the past and what can we do better in the future?"

I'm not saying we wont find out about weaknesses or room for improvement, but this is almost a greenfield axle so everything we think we know needs to be re-evaluted within the context of this axle.

Sure CAD was an issue before, maybe its going to be a total non issue in this axle?

Someone in the future, maybe, "Ya my CAD actuator died, I got 190k out of it before I ran over a pizza delivery robot leaving my driveway and broke the thing off." Should I lock the axle out or order a replacement for the actuator? The Amazon drone can have either the lockout kit or the replacement dropped off at my house before I get home from work."
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote