View Single Post
Old 01-09-2024, 12:51 PM   #356
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
My air to water experience is fairly limited to the DSM platform, I have had numerous friends run it successfully. Their biggest issues typically related to keeping the coolant side sealed as the length and complexity of the lines were prone to leakage. They simply work when done right.

Your charge cooler looks to be at twice the size of what my DSM friends ran, so that tracks given the nearly 3x displacement increase and higher boost pressures being seen.

Most aftermarket charge coolers I've seen mounted to the side however, not directly above the engine. I assume that diesel will throw off a good amount of heat, especially with the turbos inches away, but you do appear to be liberally applying insulation that should help offset.

Given factory supercharged applications like the Hellcat and ZR1 included air to water intercoolers (charge coolers) are integral into the supercharger, even closer to the heat of the engine block, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first engineer combatting ambient temperature impacts on the charge cooler design.

I'm very interested to see how it works out, how close you get to target temps. Will you have probe(s) to monitor while driving?
i keep thinking about scoops of some kinds in the hood. small details that make you looks twice, not something big n gaudy. was really thinking just one for the air filter to wash it with fresh air, but another to wash the cooler with fresh air wouldn't hurt.

i have a fit blanket for the s475, and still need to order one for the s362. i have some cut-to-shape blankets for the turbo adapter off the manifold and may also put more between the firewall and pipes. i hadn't thought about putting any under the cooler, but might make sense.

i also have 2 water chillers in the back, each is bigger than the core of this main charge cooler. the idea was to also have another water-to-air between the turbo's to help reduce temps even more ... but that's excessive for the boost levels i'll be running at the moment. can play that game later.

also at the moment i won't really have too many sensors, just enough to know if things are really going to hell or not. eventually after the barn is up and i have some cash again, i want to fully instrument and be able to data-log this thing to make is fawkin sing.

Last edited by 6DoF; 01-09-2024 at 12:53 PM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote