Old 11-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyzj
how did you get all the electronics that you needed?
My engine was a complete engine, with clutch flywheel wiring harness etc.

The only thing that prevents the engine from running right now are the ECU and APPS.

I have sourced an ECU and a guy in the UK is holding it for me while we find me an APPS unfortunatly for me the KJ I got my ECU out of had the APPS stolen.

At worst case scenario I have to spend 100 pounds for a new APPS in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
That's not bad at all. Hell, I spent that on my 3550. I might need you to help me find one.

Colin, you can make your own APPS for about $40. I'm thinking about doing it on the cummins because the stock one blows.
Or just grab an APPS from any number of drive by wire cars, heck toyotas and Jeeps share the same APPS unit now.

So the last bit of engine management stuff I need is an APPS. There is a diesel XJ that I could get the APPS out of, as you can see in the wiring diagram below they only differ by a single pin(which could be moved), the real concern is if the APPS returns the same voltage between the two.
(an Accelerator Pedal Postion Sensor is basically just a big POT=Potentiometer)

Now I could use a 05+ CRD POT, which indecently is shared by newer toyotas, but it would take a good deal more work to ensure I got the right voltage out of the pot.

So for reference:

So even if the XJ APPS does not return the same voltage a variable resistor connected inline could allow me to play around with it so that I got my throttle input right.

Archival post quoted.
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote