Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sam
More reference information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Moose
For the interior are you planning to make the air bags functional or gut them and use them to make the interior look complete?

I don't see why the entire SRS harness couldn't be transferred over to an older XJ... it's not like anything structural changed. the sensor locations and such should still be valid unless there is some kind of a ECU tie in with the air bag ECU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdesigns

Most airbag systems I've ran into have there own computer with them, most of the time you have to swap the srs unit with the bags. I know airbags also require a speed input too, so you'd have to get the wheel speed sensors too, or the vehicle speed sensor.. I dont know which one jeeps use.

The XJ ACM(Airbag Control Module) is a self contained unit that sits under the center console, there are no crash zone sensors as many other airbag systems have, merely the accelerometer/safing sensor located in the module.

There is not a direct connection between the ACM and the vehicle speed sensor, The XJ ACM does use the CCD bus connect, though the wiring diagrams seem to indicate that it connects to the gauge cluster(presumably for the airbag light) and the data link connector(for diagnostic).

Regardless I still have some concern that the ACM will need the vehicle speed information available on the CCD bus. This is a problem because the KJ CRD ECU uses the newer PCI bus.

If the vehicle speed information is needed for the ACM to operate properly then I will use a XJ CCD PCM(basically a 97-01 XJ PCM) connect the 5V supply, ground, and speed sensor signal back to the XJ PCM where needed, and connect the PCM to switched power as needed. This will then take the speed signal coming from the speedo pickup and broadcast it via the CCD bus. Since the vehicle is getting rewired with the PCI bus for all critical functions the CCD will be a secondary bus system that only contains information for the ACM.

So by doing it this way I can ensure that the airbag systems will still remain functional.

archival post quoted.
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote