View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #16
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Yep that is true. It was a bit of a surprise (to me) that they went this route on the 3.0. My thought was always that the air to water charge cooling is really only advantageous when you can't get the airflow you need over a large air to air cooler, like you typically find in the cooling stack of a full size truck.
air to air is just a cheaper, and probably more robust, set up. water to air can be more efficient in a smaller package, and gives you more options for routing and placement. plus the ability to run an ice tank in racing applications.

so i've been doing more reading on it recently, make sure it's what i want. short of some currently unknown manufacturing defect that kills stuff, the engineering seams really solid. they really didn't seam to skimp on this thing. some magazine reviews saw like 27mpg, and one even achieved 40mph in a hyper-mileage challenge. the torque "curve" isn't really a curve at all, it's basically ecu limited. it supposedly holds 460lb-ft from 1500-3000rpm, with still 95% of that from 1250. a good tuner should be able to unlock some major goodness!
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote