View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #99
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
Yeah, I'm still confused by their marketing, literally the graphic I used below says it maintains the same up travel and down travel but then says it increases the overall travel. Maybe they mean useful travel?
Yeah I don't get it either. I don't see how useful travel would change either, because in normal driving with more spring preload it's going to use less travel than factory. Or maybe it'd be a wash, it'd use less up and more down. I guess I haven't given it enough thought. To me at the same mounting geometry, if you use more travel that means more shock travel as well.

Quote:
Is the 60mm an adjustable shock as well? That sounds intriguing for when I need to replace mine, I wouldn't mind upgrading. I likely wouldn't be switching to a proper lift kit likely, mostly because I don't want to move from 17 inch rims, but I also dont' want to sit any taller. As it is I have a 6 foot, 8 inch clearance requirement. I had a hell of a time finding parking in Lansing this week, every garage was 6 foot, 7 inches! It seems all to common to run into that in cities and since I travel for sales a lot I don't want to be limited where I can go.
Pretty sure it's the same setup with multiple snap ring grooves, it's just a larger shock. It's the equivalent of a 2.5" body, they just measure it by piston size(the important part), rather than body size like everyone else. It's a more expensive kit because it also comes with new springs to fit the larger shocks, but if you're actually taxing your shocks it should perform better. He was bashing his pretty good at the dunes and said it made a big improvement.

Quote:
I ride in a lot of vehicles with my reps, they usually have half ton trucks or Tahoe/Suburbans these days. Sitting on the passenger side, they all ride the same stock and have similar amenities. Usually the Fords "feel" the fastest but I think that's a matter of perspective, they generally have the EcoBoost which is designed to feel like it has all the torque off the line. I think the infotainment and instrument cluster is really the biggest difference these days other than engine choice and I really like how Dodge does theirs, I think it feels the most modern and easy to use. Almost Apple like... which is scary.

I think if I did it over again I'd still buy the Ram. Especially with the RamBoxes, I absolutely love mine.
I've always been a GM guy, but they're not even in the running for my next truck. They make a great reliable vehicle, but their calibration, programming, and torque management drives me nuts. My wife has an 09 Tahoe, and even though the 5.3/6L80E is a great combo, the programming sucks. It's a turd anywhere under 3/4 throttle. Plus I want something that'll fit 2 car seats in back and have room for 2 dogs on the floor for trips ,and the GM crew cab is tiny compared to the others.
My current truck is an 05 Chevy and has been way nicer and more reliable than either Ram I had. I loved the Rams when I had them but was realistic enough to know they weren't the best at the time. But Ram has also made the biggest steps in improving each generation as they try to catch up to the competition. They're closer than ever now, but some parts of them still feel cheaper than the GM or Ford do. But purchase cost also reflects this, and I love the tuning, power, and throttle response of the Hemi. I've never been a Ford fan but they've really grown on me the past few years. The interior space is second to none and the features and styling(inside and out) are great. The 3.5 Ecoboost is a beast for towing, but since I'll be buying a used truck and driving it for 150k+ miles I'm still not sold on its longevity and complexity. I'm leaning towards a 5.0 if I go F-150. I haven't actually driven one but anyone I've talked to who has loves them. If I were leasing I'd go Ecoboost without hesitation, but I drive too much for that so I want longterm reliability. It's no slouch in the power department either, it'll just need to rev more towing than the Ecoboost would. I think towing MPG will be single digit crap for any of them, so that doesn't make much difference.
I still love the thought of a newer deleted Cummins for towing and excess power on demand, but probably not enough to outweigh the increased purchase and maintenance costs along with the reduced day to day comfort and convenience. I dunno. I want a lot and I'm not ready to pay for any of the available options yet. When the time comes I'll drive a bunch of different trucks, weigh my options, and probably still not know WTF I wanna do.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote