View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #97
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
They have a ton of different models, it's entirely possible that since your company was using different control arms and/or knuckles they used a longer shock to allow for more droop.
We have custom Bilsteins built to our specs for all our suspensions, but when I launched the 1500 system we started with their off the shelf shocks in conjunction with spacers for the front. The lead time was pretty long for our custom ones and we needed to get product to market. Of course they were properly designed with our geometry brackets and spacers to work right, so the stock travel issues are a moot point for what we did. I could have sworn they were the 0-2" lift version, but don't care enough to go back and check. Even the ads I've seen from Bilstein advertise added suspension travel, which I would assume means extra droop since extra compression with larger tires would generally cause interference. Plus adding lift without adding droop typically leads to premature top-out and poor ride and handling because of it.

Like you said, maybe they have multiple versions to do the same job and we just used a different one than you did. They also offer a nice 60mm shock/spring upgrade. Our warehouse manager put it on his truck and really likes it.

When I can swing a new truck I've really been leaning toward a 5.0L F-150, but all these nice upgrades I could do to a Ram are pretty damn tempting too. I feel like the F-150 is a nicer all around truck, but Rams have come a LONG way over the years too and the Hemi rips. I'll be towing an 8000 lb camper frequently in the summer and my Jeep now and then so a 3/4 ton diesel is still damn tempting, but a 1/2 ton is a lot nicer for the other 25,000 miles a year I'll be driving.

Last edited by bbaCJ8; 02-09-2018 at 08:25 AM.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote