View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #94
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
The Bilstein setup is nice for sure, we actually used those struts in conjunction with custom spacers until our custom struts were available. But they're no different from a geometry standpoint than spacers. It exceeds the UBJ and CV angles at full droop just like a cheap spacer lift would. Normal spacers go between the top of the strut and the upper frame mount. Bilstein's setup has longer struts with multiple mounting grooves for the lower spring bucket. It's adjustable from roughly 0-2" lift, but basically acts like a spacer on the bottom instead of the top. The different lift heights also change spring preload rather than just static ride height. Not bashing the Bilstein setup, but don't kid yourself that it doesn't risk the same issues as any other leveling kit. Lift the front without correcting geometry and you're going to exceed the travel of upper balljoints and CVs.
See, I always thought that too until I dug into it a bit, I didn't understand the difference. I'd be interested to see if you have any feedback otherwise, having a manufacturer experience, relative to what I found.

The argument, straight from Bilstein, is that their shock has the same travel capabilities as a factory shock. Therefore, you can't overextend since the extended length is the exact same as a factory shock. It does stiffen up the ride a bit but I don't think it's made it overly harsh or abrasive.

The lift is accomplished by changing the spring preload (as you note) but all that does is change the static ride height. So if static ride height had the shock 50% extended at the stock height, now it's at 75% extension with the new preload.

In comparison, the spacer lift would move the whole strut assembly down by the height of the spacer, which means the static ride height is still at that 50% extension, allowing further droop, which is where the internet hive mind thinks the upper control arm issues crop up.

For what it's worth, when I had the factory struts side by side with the Bilsteins, they were the same extended length.
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote