View Single Post
Old 01-06-2024, 10:21 AM   #113
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

I really should be working on my Waggy but I decide to do things like this instead.

https://i.imgur.com/9n1RXW4.mp4

Taking this thing for a bath

I knew this was a later motor (50s) but got all the junk washed off and found is been rebuilt. Bored 60 over. Motor has always run great besides a vapor lock here or there

Here is how I ended last weekend

What are my plans you ask? Well... this thing has always had about an inch thick coating of dirt and grease on every surface since I have got it. the passenger front frame rail is packed with dirt still. I love this thing and beat on it, so I want to do some upgrades and cleaning up to help myself and daughter enjoy it. I have been struggling with keeping it as OG as possible and building it a little bit so we can better enjoy it on the trails. Obviously I have already added lockers and swapped in a narrow trac dana 30 and saginaw steering. So cat was already out of the bag. Things I never want to change. This will never have bigger than 7.5-16 tires, have stock suspension, will always have the L134 go devil.

My plans this go around.
-Clean up and paint the frame drive train.
I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the rest of the frame. After the first year problems of breaking the front crossmember and having to straighten and weld back together the front of the frame, the rest looks solid. Paint the motor and rebuild the trans.

-Converting to 12 volt
I went back and forth on this, I liked the 6 volt just because it was old and stock. Sucked if the battery went dead. Another problem is I have a 8274 winch for it, also the wiring besides the headlight wiring was all super hacked up. I am going to get a universal 8 circuit wiring harness for it and rewire the whole jeep (lights and an ignition system, gauges ) Going to run a 10si alternator and rebuild the stock starter (needs it anyway, Billings 8 hour winch fest last EJS because of the starter)

-Thinking about putting swing pedal in it.
Make getting to the master cylinder much easier, want to convert to a dual pot master cylinder so if I break a brake line I dont lose the whole system. I also am thinking about a cable or hydraulic clutch. The swing clutch mounted on the frame is a bummer in the rocks sometime as well since you lose the clutch function. I am still on the fence about the swing pedals

-Fix the tub floor rust.
Not looking to restore the tub by any means, but would like to put new floors in it. I had 2 of 8 body mount bolts holding the tub on all the others are rusted out or broken. I would also like to fix all the holes and stuff in the fire wall.

All in all just want to clean it up a bit and have it be something we can enjoy on the weekends without losing the feel of vintage wheeler. More to come.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote