View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
I really like my trail grapplers. Nice pick up!

So I've been looking around for a project I have in my head. How do you set up your rear ends, hub wise? Just welding on 60 spindles or? I've looked at unit bearings, off, 9" sf stuff. Also from the axle tube end to the was, what is that width? I know it changes for every setup, just curious what set up you have and what width it is. Having trouble finding the measurements I've been looking for.
so my axle is different than most you'll see ... cuz i'm odd like that. some things are simplified and cheaper, but it's an odd assembly. i love it though, and will be duplicating it.

-Spider9 housing
-Rough Stuff housing ends for bolt-on front D60 spindle
-GM front D60 spindle
-dodge external lock-out front d60 hubs
-moser 35sp custom shafts (basic full float shaft, custom length n bolt holes)
-TMR GM dana 60 3/4 ton brake conversion bracket
-custom 1/16" caliper bracket space
-d52 GM calipers, i used the dual small piston willwoods for the back

hubs/shafts:
i chose the dodge hubs because they have the same 8-bolt circle for the lock-out as a standard 14b FF hub for the shaft, but it uses smaller bolts. when i ordered the shafts, i just ordered it with smaller holes to use the stock hub size bolts vs drilling and tapping them larger. custom length for the axle. this means cheaper shafts and no buying drive flanges! but you still get the convenience of the bolt-on spindle.

brakes:
the dodge hub has a different offset for the brake disc then the GM, so the TMR bracket won't simply bolt over the spindle as designed. however to create the proper location, you flip it around and put it behind the rough stuff axle flange with a spacer to move it inboard by that last 1/16" to center the pads. this also involves cutting off the unnecessary full wrap to all 6 spindle bolts. the flange is threaded all the way thru, so bolts from the bracket thru stick out for the spindle. the bracket then stays bolted to the flange when you pull the nuts on the spindle.

width:
i can get you the actual measurements if you want but i simply determined my WMS (~64"), assembled the hubs to the flange and subtracted to get where the flange went. i only put the housing about 3/4 of the way thru the flange so i could weld it internally and externally. note that you'll want different length shafts and the centered pinion. pinion isn't centered in the housing so you'll have to measure off the diff bolt holes. i have a drawing of dim's and clamp a straight edge to the diff flange to measure from.

TJ pic for reference:

Last edited by 6DoF; 04-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote