View Single Post
Old 10-24-2022, 08:32 AM   #79
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

big weekend for the little XJ! starting with me playing hooky on Friday and spending the day working on it.

i runs! and works on the key!

fuel lines built, fuel PSI regulator installed ... but it's REALLY not the right unit for this. pressure pulses back from the injection pump when shutting down leave it at like 50psi in the line/IP and over 20 can blow out the front seal dumping fuel down the timing. even no lift pump, just drawing fuel, it'll shut down with 20+ psi in the line. i had to buy a regulator with return line. will be here tomorrow.

cut out a turbo down pipe flange and an EGR delete cover. made a coolant hard line that runs up along the intake to make a fwd connection vs the one at the back of the head. i was annoyed that the throttle cable coming out of the firewall was like in the way of where i needed to bracket the cable to the pump, so i looped the cable and zip-tied it to itself. the firewall is now the hold point and it's perfect.

messing with electrical some, jumped the NSS for now but will most likely put that on a hidden switch. found a nice key'd power source under the hood in a connector i'm not using. the computer must be missing grounds cuz it doesn't want to do anything yet though. starter wire works though! got the 3-in-1 EGT/boost/fuel psi gauge placed and wired on the dash.

also got the B&M cable t-case shifter installed, the NP231 installed, rear drive shaft is in. clutch slave hooked up and clutch confirmed functional. fixed the brake lights staying on issue. drivers seat re-installed.

egt probe was actually kinda interesting to install. i forgot to drill/tap the manifold while it was out, so i put it in the EGR blockoff plate instead. it came with a 90deg bend outside the compression fitting that holds it to the manifold ... had to bend the stright, slide it up, then re-arc the probe to get deeper into the manifold. worked out pretty well thought i think.

so the very first fire up i had the new gauge facing out the windshield so i could check running fuel pressure. bleeding injectors ... crank ... bleed ... crank ... more cranking with smoke ... finally gave it throttle and it hit a few times. YES IT"S GOING TO WORK ... cranking ... throttle and it lit off and ran! quickly look around for what the fuel PSI is and there's fluid splashing all over the INSIDE OF THE WINDSHIELD!! SHUT IT DOWN SHUT IT DOWN. ... no shifter in the trans so the gears flung some new lub all over the dash, steering wheel, door, windshield ... uuuuggghhhhh that sucked to clean.

Last edited by 6DoF; 10-24-2022 at 08:37 AM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote