View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 08:36 AM   #50
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

oh, totally forgot i also bought another 12v

the nv4500 "swap kit" is for a buddy with a 96 who's auto is last legs.

so i've been having issues with the VE pump, basically cuz the truck is wicked up too much. First is the AFC (air fuel control) spring, it's WAY wrong leading to a lot of smoke and i assume extra turbo lag. i characterized the spring and ordered a selection of stiffer ones to hopefully fix the fuel map.

second, the pump will stall and just shut the engine off. with high boost comes high cylinder pressures, high enough that if i let off the throttle too fast it'll actually shove combustion back into the injectors and air lock them. the pump will shut down pressure faster than the cylinders and the poppet valves can't hold back enough pressure. easy fix, 3minutes to blead em and go again, but having to dead drift to the side of the road blows. if i let off slowly it's no issue, just a quick lift when trying to shift fast. the only fix for this is to swap on a P-Pump where this mechanically isn't possible. no clue when i'll finally swap it, but now i have the parts.

between not being able to let off the throttle quick, and the clutch needed to disengage more to shift easier, i actually spend more time shift than accelerating in a 0-60 run i believe the dyno numbers cuz she'll set you back in the seat when the turbo's light, but that's like these wee little glimpses of goodness.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote