Jeepin.com Forums

Jeepin.com Forums (https://www.jeepin.com/forum/index.php)
-   Jeep Talk (https://www.jeepin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   JL Wrangler! Discuss! (https://www.jeepin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80)

Jeepin Jason 11-30-2017 09:20 AM

JL Wrangler! Discuss!

FOUR WHEELER actually has a great write-up on the new JL Wrangler:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1711...ngler-rubicon/

There are a ton of press release photos from Jeep at the bottom of the article if you're just interested in seeing what it looks like.

Here are some highlights of the "little changes" made to improve the JL over the JK:

- HVAC vents in the center console for rear seat passengers

- The Sport Bar is now full length and body colored, looking great when the top is off. It is made from high-strength blow-molded steel and exceeds all current roof crush standards. Long gone is the padding covered in grey fabric that would turn purple after a season in the sun, replaced by durable plastic panels.

- The Jeep team did their best to ensure every bolt the owner of the JL touched was the same size.

- The windshield still folds down and it only takes four bolts and about five minutes. Removing two hinge pins allows the windshield to be removed from the Jeep completely! Jeep also uses better corrosion protection on the hinges, and paints them in a way that folding down the windshield won’t break any paint. When the windshield is folded down, the sun visors stay with the Jeep.

- JL doors are self-closing and come with check straps and detents that are easily disconnected when removing the doors. The doors, now made of aluminum, are 30 percent lighter than a JK door. The hinge pins are now different lengths to aide in reinstalling the doors after a day on the trail.

- When the check straps are removed, the doors will no longer swing all the way open and dent your cowl with the mirror.

- The cowl panels now have two fasteners that solely exist to bolt on aftermarket accessories. Behind the cowl panel, these bolts are supported by body structure. We are excited to see what the aftermarket does here.

- The hard top is still composite, but the Freedom panels are now 20 percent lighter than the ones found on a JK, making them easier to remove.

- The hard top now has full-length drip rails to support a variety of roof rack systems without having to drill any holes in your top. With a rating of 100 pounds, we bet you could even use the rails to lift the top of your Jeep if you have a winch or pulley system in your garage.

- Soft tops come standard in vinyl, but have a premium cloth upgrade that has to be seen and felt. It truly gives a new meaning to the term soft top. Black and tan colors are both available.

- Soft tops are now zipper-free and can be operated by one person. The channels make sliding the side and rear panels out incredibly easy, and the soft tops offer different configurations, such as a factory Sunrider position, full down, or removing just the side and rear panels, but keeping the roof up for shade. The floating roof design has no corner structure, opening up outward visibility and cargo access.

- A power top is also available for those that just don’t want to mess with a manual top. Full removal is not recommended.

- Rock rail strength has been improved.

- There are now 75 safety features available on the Wrangler, ranging from side airbags and rear park assist to blind spot sensing and rear cross path detection.

- The vacuum accumulator is no longer mounted at the front of the Jeep and doesn’t need to be relocated to run a winch.

- When installing a lift, the front driveshaft no longer interferes with the exhaust.

- The call button on the steering wheel has been moved inboard, closer to the horn so that you don’t accidentally make calls when wheeling.

- Steel bumpers are optional on the Rubicon.

- Designers, wanting to cleanup the JL’s outward appearance made sure all of the hinges and door handles line up and are no longer offset.

-The hood latches have been redesigned with a gap to hold a remote winch controller cable out of the way when winching from the passenger cabin.

-The larger steering stabilizer has been relocated to better protect it from rock hits.

-Say goodbye to the obstinate twist knobs on the Freedom panels, as they've been replaced with quarter-turn latch mechanisms.

FUBAR 11-30-2017 10:08 AM

I think it's pretty good. I have no problems with it other than the price.

Cobound 11-30-2017 10:51 AM

Yes, I'm super excited to see it! Totally stoked with the changes they've made...so many haters it makes me laugh.

My wife actually said, after having her TJ now that she absolutely loves, that she might be ready for another 4 door :lol: Of course, she's not getting one at the prices it's going for :roflmao:

Anyway, can't wait to see it in person, the vids are great but can't do it justice! Well thought out this go round!

Excited to see what AEV, TNT, Metalcloak, Poison Spyder and all the others have for it...too bad Easter Jeep will likely be too soon to have them ready!

Nefarious 11-30-2017 11:04 AM

Maybe in 20 years Ill be able to buy one

Cobound 11-30-2017 11:17 AM

That's it, too. They are NOT going to be cheap...but neither are the current loaded models.

Christ, on that note, I'm hoping an AEV Hemi built Brute Double Cab might actually come down enough for me...I'd forgo a JL to snag one :p

Maybe it'll take 20 years for that, too :lol:
I mean, I've wanted one since '98 and still waiting :roflmao:

6DoF 11-30-2017 01:12 PM

sounds amazing!

Cobound 11-30-2017 03:06 PM

The more pix I see, descriptions I read...damn, they really did think of some small details and had the off road community in mind on this build!

I mean, Mopar likely did it because they have a ton of aftermarket stuff to sell the average Joe to jack up the cost of the vehicle they're gonna buy...but still, well thought out none the less for all the rest of us!

Moab is gonna be flooded w/ these!!

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...56&oe=5A9DDD33

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...65&oe=5A9060A0

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...64&oe=5A8EA2DF

Sick!

The Scrambler details can't come soon enough :rant:

BanditXJ 11-30-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason (Post 3650)

- The Jeep team did their best to ensure every bolt the owner of the JL touched was the same size.

If they had literally changed nothing else, this alone would make me a fan.

XJAndy 12-01-2017 08:06 AM

Power top, fancy.

Dennis 12-01-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobound (Post 3711)
The more pix I see, descriptions I read...damn, they really did think of some small details and had the off road community in mind on this build!

I mean, Mopar likely did it because they have a ton of aftermarket stuff to sell the average Joe to jack up the cost of the vehicle they're gonna buy...but still, well thought out none the less for all the rest of us!

Moab is gonna be flooded w/ these!!

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...56&oe=5A9DDD33

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...65&oe=5A9060A0

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...64&oe=5A8EA2DF

Sick!

The Scrambler details can't come soon enough :rant:

Now, if they would just have a program to get all that installed on the assembly line rather than have some of the dealership flunkies and apprentices installing them, I would be happy to roll it all up at the time of purchase.

Cobound 12-01-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis (Post 3755)
Now, if they would just have a program to get all that installed on the assembly line rather than have some of the dealership flunkies and apprentices installing them, I would be happy to roll it all up at the time of purchase.

Honestly, I'd guess they will have some sort of factory option down the road...it's all getting rolling now.

They will most definitely have dealers doing them...some will specialize in them while other dealers will continue to do nothing but sell Ram trucks or minivans...but the dealers that get it will have dedicated service bays assigned to do just this. Companies that partnered w/ AEV - like Pollard, Trail Jeeps, Burnsville of MN, etc...will charge you plenty to do it "right".

I think there are still too many aftermarket options for Jeep to straight up build them spec sheet like that from the factory. You'll still want to do some mods after you get one w/ all the bits - no different than building up a Rubicon now...Rubicon is that "from the factory" built Jeep.

Damn, the ability to toss on 35s from the day you drive it off the lot :eek:

champ 12-01-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Now, maybe it's just my jaded view from the heavy equipment side, but I rather have a dealership install said parts. :lol:

Dennis 12-01-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champ (Post 3774)
Now, maybe it's just my jaded view from the heavy equipment side, but I rather have a dealership install said parts. :lol:

I have never had immediate happy results from aftermarket suspension mods. But stories from my cousin who used to assemble those huge Cat Mining Trucks in the field, I totally get what you are saying.

nblehm 12-03-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason (Post 3650)

- The call button on the steering wheel has been moved inboard, closer to the horn so that you don’t accidentally make calls when wheeling.

I don't know why bu tbd this made me :lol:

Quote:

:rolleyes:

bbaCJ8 12-04-2017 08:44 AM

I like it a lot. Tons of good features and they updated it to meet lots of requirements without watering down what a Jeep is supposed to be. I'm amazed how many people are whining about it, but that's just what they like to do. I've seen a few in person, they're so similar to JK that at first it's tough to tell what looks "off" but once you realize it's JL there are lots of nice noticeable features, like the grill shape, fender vents, etc. Good looking rig with lots of great features and options.

Dennis 12-04-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nblehm (Post 3830)

:rolleyes:

I am sure that some of the Colorado dealerships have more than competent installer/mechanics. Around here it is a struggle to find such a thing. But still, I would prefer to have all the bolts torqued down one time at the factory to spec than have stuff removed and reinstalled if possible. I realize that is a pipe dream, and that there are definite exceptions to this such as the AEV crew and some others such as you, Nate.

6DoF 12-04-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 (Post 3859)
I like it a lot. Tons of good features and they updated it to meet lots of requirements without watering down what a Jeep is supposed to be. I'm amazed how many people are whining about it, but that's just what they like to do. I've seen a few in person, they're so similar to JK that at first it's tough to tell what looks "off" but once you realize it's JL there are lots of nice noticeable features, like the grill shape, fender vents, etc. Good looking rig with lots of great features and options.

i was guna say, figured you'd driven one months ago.

bbaCJ8 12-04-2017 12:42 PM

Despite lots of similarities to JK, the JL is doing many things a lot different as well. JK had tons of parts commonality between models, where JL has huge differences between them. The Rubicon package has more unique features than ever before....wider axles, entirely different fender flares and wheel liners(37" tires should easily fit with 2" lift), etc. More complexity and options across the lineup than ever before, including tops, doors, stylized hoods, steel bumpers, packages, etc. From what I've heard, despite the Wrangler's history of being a rugged utilitarian offroader, the JL is refined and comfy, basically a Grand Cherokee with solid axles. Like it or not, that's what sells vehicles. People aren't going out and dropping $45k for a noisy, clunky, uncomfortable Jeep they can do the occasional offroading with, that's just not the market for new vehicles. Soccer moms buy them, weekend warriors who need a good daily driver buy them. Hardcore offroaders will be buying up the used models of the previous generation as the current owners upgrade to the new one. I give Jeep a lot of credit, they designed and built something that will sell, and they did it without taking away from the capabilities and heritage of the iconic vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 3878)

Nah. Everyone thinks AEV has a huge leg up on getting vehicles, data, etc, but that's pretty far from the truth. Mopar treats most companies as competitors because they/we are. I've seen some on the roads due to my vicinity to the tech center and proving grounds but that's about it. We've got lots of concepts in the works but are waiting on vehicles to arrive before we can finalize designs and kick off production. JL is going to force lots of companies to change up their game a bit, they're now offering so many different features like hoods and bumpers that many companies offering aftermarket parts will have to work extra hard to come up with stuff more appealing than the long list of factory options.

Cobound 12-04-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 (Post 3859)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 (Post 3881)
Despite lots of similarities to JK, the JL is doing many things a lot different as well. JK had tons of parts commonality between models, where JL has huge differences between them. The Rubicon package has more unique features than ever before....wider axles, entirely different fender flares and wheel liners(37" tires should easily fit with 2" lift), etc. More complexity and options across the lineup than ever before, including tops, doors, stylized hoods, steel bumpers, packages, etc. From what I've heard, despite the Wrangler's history of being a rugged utilitarian offroader, the JL is refined and comfy, basically a Grand Cherokee with solid axles. Like it or not, that's what sells vehicles. People aren't going out and dropping $45k for a noisy, clunky, uncomfortable Jeep they can do the occasional offroading with, that's just not the market for new vehicles. Soccer moms buy them, weekend warriors who need a good daily driver buy them. Hardcore offroaders will be buying up the used models of the previous generation as the current owners upgrade to the new one. I give Jeep a lot of credit, they designed and built something that will sell, and they did it without taking away from the capabilities and heritage of the iconic vehicle.

Nah. Everyone thinks AEV has a huge leg up on getting vehicles, data, etc, but that's pretty far from the truth. Mopar treats most companies as competitors because they/we are. I've seen some on the roads due to my vicinity to the tech center and proving grounds but that's about it. We've got lots of concepts in the works but are waiting on vehicles to arrive before we can finalize designs and kick off production. JL is going to force lots of companies to change up their game a bit, they're now offering so many different features like hoods and bumpers that many companies offering aftermarket parts will have to work extra hard to come up with stuff more appealing than the long list of factory options.

:thumbsup:

xj_man_646 12-05-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 3878)

:wave: